Thursday, March 13, 2008

Call Me!

Don't you just love that? "Call me!" This card uses Rupa Shevde's new set "Thinking of You" from Gina K Designs. I just love this little phone! Now that I have a pic of the original card, I think I might have to keep it as my virtual calling card, just email it to people who I need to to talk with, I think they'll get the message, don't you??

The background paper here was created with that terrific topiary, I just thought these graduated three circular designs would be stunning as a border or a pattern! I did not even have to use a stampamajig here, but that would have made it perfect(a few small booboos here, I think I covered them with ribbon and phone), just kept inking up everything but the pot (by laying it down onto my pad with the pot hanging off the edge I could get just the part I wanted) and stamping in rows, then having them alternate sizes by shifting over one as I worked up. I began at the BOTTOM so I would have the border the way I wanted and filled in from there. (These gorgeous antique brads that fit so perfectly in the large topiary bacl and the phone dial are from the free bling tin Gina k is offering this month with a $100 or more purchase! ) I cut around the bottom with a tiny scalloped pair of scissors, I love the lacy look. EDITED TO ADD: Carol wrote that I must have had a steady hand to cut this: not really! It's just a super tiny scallop edge on the scissor that just happened to be the right size for the little humps in the design, so it was really just like following a large scallop pattern (the seven big humps of the tree KWIM? Even though it looks like it, I did NOT cut around every little hump!!(lazycutter) I got these scissors at Michael's a few years ago for $2.

I like the phone so much I had to use it on one of my tins! The phone fits perfectly in the 1 3/8" circle punch and matted on the scallop punch. You could use a call me! tin to store business cards(your own and/or those you collect, contact info of friends on long accordion style piece of CS, OR if you celly is small enough, store your phone in it! (or even punch a hole in the bottom and and put your charger through!) My phone fits lengthwise but is a little too fat to close the lid(but I have an "ancient" cell phone!) With a phone inside this would be a fun wristy or you could even punch some holes to put a key ring though or hook it to your belt loop. So many possibilities!


To make this label, I inked up the bold label(there it is again!) from What's In Your Tin? 1 with Pretty in Pink ink and stamped it to the SU! Polka Dots and Petals DP. Isn't that fun?? I just love that crisp negative border it leaves! TIP: It may be hard to see this in the pic, but I got really excited when I discovered AFTER stamping on the DP, it left a floral pattern on my stamp! Yup, just as if I'd kissed a rubber background! (I just realized that changing up the contrast on my pic removed the effect from the photo, sorry! but it really happened, I promise!)I was not expecting it do this, but the print on the paper had resisted the ink a little so I was able to go stamp it on a white piece of paper(sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the result!) and it left a pale pink print of the leaves, dots and flowers from the DP!! Isn't that cool?! Give it a try! Some DPs may work better than others for this , I guess depending on the way it's printed. I know I'll be experimenting with different papers more often to see if I can repeat this with other papers successfully, definitely gives more options and "new papers" to play with! Let me know if you get this to work for you and please share what you made! :)

Tomorrow, I'm thinking I need to show off a CANDY tin, don't you? Thanks for stopping in, have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. your card today is gorgeous! I LOVE the colors and that dreamy ribbon! You have a real steady hand to be able to cut out those scallops with scissors! Beautiful stamp, beautiful card - nice job!! Next you'll simply have to make a coordinating punch to go with this tin label. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used the bold stamp on the patterned paper. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scalloped bottom of the card...just fabulous! So clever to use the topiary that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the topiary bg and the scallop border is perfect for it. The call me tin is so cute, but my cell phone wouldn't fit either (boo hoo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie......I can't wait to get the Tin Stamp Sets!!!! I'm just lovin' them!!! Your pattern is so straight!! I have to severely alternate mine and tip them on purpose 'cuz I can't do anything requiring straight lines!! I have GOT to get me a SAM!! Oh and due to your post title I now have a Blondie song running thru my head!!!! LOL I LOVED the 80's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to believe you cut that little border just with scalloped scissors and by hand!!!
    The lace effect is gorgeous!
    Your stamps are on their way to my mail box... soon I'll be playing with tins too I hope! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just adorable!!! Love how you made your own dp...that's one of my favorite things to do. The border is the perfect touch. And using the brad for dial wheel on your phone is so creative! The tin is adorable as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy man!!! Don't stop in for a day and look at what you have done!! Fabulous work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie, amazing what you did with those scissors - those scallops are perfect!! Fabulous card! I can't wait to get the what's in your tin set in the mail - my 1st time to play with any other stamp set other than SU - you've been a bad influence Melanie (and Donna!!!) Just kidding - LOL!! This blogging world has definitely opened up lots of fun things for me - thanks again for all your inspiration and entertaining posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS is absolutely fabulous! I love this set and how you incorporated the tin idea...Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)