Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"Festive Frame" Blog Hop!

Welcome to our "Festive Frame" hop! Today I am sharing a card and gifts using the frame. What you see below I am unofficially calling the "Grandparents Card": it is worth the extra time to make a card with extra panels for these special people, they are sure to appreciate it and have it on display probably all year long! :)
You'll need one 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of Pure Luxury White CS,( stamping the frame into all four corners and cutting), and 1 and a half sheets of Pure Luxury Fresh Asparagus CS, cut and score to make 3 side-folded A2 sized cards. The third card is what's adhered to the back right and left sides of the other two cards to create the accordion. I'm showing a second view of the same card so you can see how it can be "mountain" folded, like an "M" in the card above, or "valley" folded like a "W" below. You could also bring both ends around in a kind of semicircle to frame up a little candle or something in the middle. :)
I chose to photograph it on our coffee table not only because it's extra long (but still folds up to A2 size!) , but it would be beautiful displayed on a bookshelf or here as a centerpiece, if you had a little more time you could also decorate the backside with four more frames showing Christmas memories. TIP: to cut down the time of this project, stamp the frame in color on white or emboss on colored CS and skip the coloring! This accordion is something I would be happy to make for myself for our family to enjoy every year, like a mini scrapbook so to speak. These are my two sons' school pics, along with greetings from the set, but with your printer or alphabet set you could add names, dates, stamped holiday images, or two more photos in the panels in between. I added some Cranberry Tart Large Punched Flourishes and adhesive nail heads to the corners and flower centers.

You can see in the closeup the sparkle on the images, I used the Sakura Galaxy Glitter Pens. I've long been a fan of their Stardust Pen, but just got these colored ones, and I am so pleased with the results! While they may not always be an exact match for your colors or cardstock, when you apply then tone on tone, like the golden pen over the Mignonette Copic in the flowers and lime pen over the Verdigris Copic above, or the rose pen on the Cardinal Copic below, they blend beautifully but the glitter still really pops!

I did not use any additional papers to mat the frames, all the different "borders" you see are just the images colored with markers!

My next projects use the waterproof labels Gina K sells. These HUGE 3 1/3"x4" labels are a steal at only 43 cents a project (you get 30 labels for 12.95!) You don't need special inks, all your stamping and coloring are preserved, even if it gets wet! If your packaging already has a label on it, you can soak it off in a few minutes with some water and then dry before applying your new one. On both of these I stamped the frame in Memento Tuxedo Black onto the labels (before applying them to the bottles LOL!) and colored them with Copics. Now I have beautiful, handstamped labels to dress up these gifts and don't need any additional papers, adhesives or embellishments (except maybe some ribbon, I'll get to that in a minute!).
Here is a closeup of the wine label, I rubbed the Antique Linen Distressing Pad all over it to give it this beautiful yellowed patina, and then stamped the crackle image from Bold Flowers all over it in Tuscan Tan, perfect for an elegant and aged-looking wine label, isn't that gorgeous?? TIP: I stuck with just greetings from the "Festive Frame" set today, but try personalize the oval window by adding the date ("2009, a very good year!"), a monogram, your family's name, etc! As you can see, the label is slightly smaller than the stamp image, but you do get the window in its entirety and corners clusters, the only thing that's missing is the outside frame...still looks like it was made for it!

A bottle of wine makes such a wonderful housewarming or hostess gift (or "emergency gift" for someone who drops by with something when you forgot them on the Christmas list! (not that I've ever done that...!)), and with this festive label, after the wine has been enjoyed the bottle can stay out on a counter dressing up the kitchen or dining area, or made into a candle holder or oil lamp and serve as a happy memory of holidays past...

I found this large vanilla jar candle at HEB, they had an assortment of holiday scents for only $3.98 each, but you can find similar ones just about anywhere. After stamping and coloring the image, I colored the oval with Lionet Gold Copic and stamped the music score from Nina's Vintage Borders in Antique Linen Distressing Ink over the whole label. I also rubbed a little of the gold Metallic Rub On Paste over the corners. This time I mounted the label horizontally to fit the jar. The gold lined organdy white ribbon is from Gina K Designs, and I made both of the bows you see in this post with the Bow Easy.


Jar candles like these make perfect gifts for friends or teachers, with their extra long burn time they can enjoyed over and over and the label outside will look just as pretty once the candle is gone. BONUS gift: The remaining wax inside can be popped out and the clean jar repurposed for holding candy etc! I hope these labels inspire you to explore the many gift giving possibilities for these Festive Frame labels, they would be just as perfect on a tin of cocoa, jar of bath salts, or store bought or homemade preserves, and as I mentioned before, with an alphabet set you could add "Mom's Jelly", "Snowman Soup" etc to the frame!


Today I'm giving away a Bow Easy and assortment of handpicked holiday ribbons ! I will draw a winner randomly from one of the blogs in our hop tonight, so be generous with your comments if you'd like one, you'll be ready to start making festive bows for projects like these right away! :)


I've invited a couple of friends to join in on the blog hop tonight, so please click on their blog links to see the projects they've created for us:
Then, check in on these GinaK Designer's participating in the Blog Hop tonight:

Carolyn King
Donna Baker
Erika Martin
Jessica Fick
Lee Murphy
Theresa Momber

And our fabulous Center Stage Spotlight Team:
Deb Felts
Diana S. Queen
Melissa Cash
Sharri Seffens

After you're done hopping to all the Designer's blogs stop by GinaK's Idea Center here: Festive Frame for lots more ideas on how to use the Festive Frame stamp set. And, don't forget to check in on GinaK's blog so you can leave your comment to be entered as a chance to win this stamp set, too!

76 comments:

Giovana said...

Wow Melanie!!! I love the card frame and the decorations you made!!
You always surprise me girl!!
Beautiful!!

God bless
Giovana

Sharri Seffens said...

Melanie, all the gifts are amazing! I love how you think outside the box and come up with the most creative things!

Susan White said...

Mel I love this set I'm eagerly awaiting it to arrive. Thanks for all the inspiration

JenMarie said...

Melanie...STUNNING creations! Wow girlie!!

Theresa Momber said...

Wow! That accordion photo card is amazing! What a great idea for grandparents. Love the gift labels, too!gou

Barbara said...

I love the Grandparents card idea!! That will be a treasue for anyone to receive
Barbara

Payne Holler Cards said...

SHUT UPPPPPP! LOVE THESE...but so can't wait to do the rest of my grankids in this accordion frame!

Dawn said...

oh Mel...I'm smitten! awesome girl

Lori said...

Your projects are fantastic Mel!!!

Darlene L said...

I love how you used this set to cover the candle jar and wine bottle. Your grandparent cards are just awesome too--what a great and thoughtful gift.

Carmen (guatelicia) said...

WOW! When I saw the stamp for the first time, I couldn't imagine that it could get much use... but you just proved me WRONG!!! Amazing how different it looked from the frame to the dif. labels. Can't wait to continue the blog hop to get more ideas!

Jennie said...

Love the accordion project! WOW you are one creative lady! I wish I could think the way you do :o) Thanks so much for sharing!

Alita said...

I have this precious Stamp set and I'm very new to stamping. this stamp set is so easy to use that a beginner can use it and end up making the most beautiful cards/frames!
thank You for sharing all of the wonderful projects.
alita
Bridalflowers2@yahoo.com

Maria Levine said...

Oh my is that beautiful or what? LOVE IT Melanie! And your label projects rock! My Feastive Frame is in the mail and on it's way to me as I type! LOL! Great job!

Betty Benton said...

Your projects are fantastic, as are all the others that I have seen tonight! It would be hard to stamp A Festive Frame and NOT come out with a fabulous card because of your creative talent!

Anita said...

Beautiful projects! What a beautiful gift.

wordbird said...

Melanie...your projects are so very beautiful and perrrrfect ideas for holiday gifts! Thank you so much for sharing them and the great details on creating them! ;D Diana

ginalovesdave said...

I thought I already saw some beautiful things made with your stamp set, but that accordian photo frame is gorgeous! I love the contrast between the red and green panels. Gina

wendyp said...

Melanie, both projects are absolutely stunning!!!

Lynne Phelps said...

I love the frame and all the things you have done with it! I especially love all the past projects where you have shown us not only how to use it for Christmas, but also year-round. My favorite is still the framed picture of you and your son.

Joan Ervin said...

Your card frame is sooo lovely, Melanie....what a fabulous idea for Christmas picutres!!! I love the wine bottle and candle labels, too..you are sooo creative!!!

Melissa Cash said...

Melanie~What can I say....all of your projects are beautiful and amazing. I love this set and have enjoyed working with it. Thank you so much!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

The photo frame is magnificent, Melanie! I really like the wine bottle and candle labels, too. Your creativity is endless!

Janice M said...

Melanie I LOVE everything you made!! That acordian card is gorgous and I love the label idea too!

Beverly Kissler said...

Melanie your talent is just incredible. I love all your cards and labels, etc. I love this stamp set so much.
Thanks for your generousity.

joy said...

Wow do I EVER love the card frame! How perfect to put my grandkids pictures in! The wine label is the best idea ever! Thank you for sharing. You now have me going in a dozen different directions with gift ideas!!!

Carol A said...

I love your accordian fold card! I LOVE your new framing stamp set! I LOVE your work!

Carolyn King said...

Fabulous---------I am loving that grandparents card---Great idea!!! The boys look adorable too!

GaMtnScrap said...

OMGosh! What beautiful gifts you've made, and so creative and inspiring! I especially love the candle in a jar idea!

StampinCathy said...

This card frame is just priceless and so inspiring. I just love your creative style.

Jan Castle said...

I must say Melanie, your boys are handsome and your frames are beautiful...you must design in your sleep to keep coming up with such lovely designs!
Jan Castle

Deanna said...

What a nice idea. I love what you've been doing with this stamp.

Randi said...

What a great idea. I can so see my grandkids in this beautiful set.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I love your versatility on these projects. The frames are gorgeous, love the antique look of the wine label and very cool and great bargain on the candle.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

A whole lota love went into this examples and this set is just amazing.

Jerusha said...

You have blown me away with this stamp! It is perfect for any holiday gift!

Rama said...

You are so talented...love the labels on the gifts and absolutely adore the grandparents frame. This is a must have stamp.

Susan said...

Gorgeous ideas! TFS!!

Lisa T said...

Beautiful projects! What a versatile set this is. :)

Sue - 'TILLYMINT' said...

What a fabulous idea for a card!
Families here have the school photos right about now as they go into the summer break.......One more gift idea to tick off the list. Thanks Melanie.

Jenny McGee said...

I love the picture frame, that is beautiful. This is a great stamp set.

Teri said...

Boy - have you EVER been busy!!! All SOOOOO pretty!! Great job with everything.

Donna said...

The framed pics of your boys is adorable. What a lovely gift! I am always amazed at what you do with stamps. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tina Gilliland said...

OMGosh Melanie!!! How totally awesome is that frame!! You are right... just PERFECT for grandparents!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! The wine bottle and candle are such great gifts also. I wondered why I'd need waterproof labels!!! *smile*

catdidit said...

You never cease to amaze me Mel! That card is just so awesome, boys are growing up! And the wine and candle labels, brilliant idea!

Linda said...

Your beautiful projects have me dropping my jaw over and over.. tough to eat while looking at your blog. LOL

Sandra said...

you are amazing!
Sandra

Carla (cmsuto) said...

Your frame card and label projects are absolutely stunning, Melanie! I can't stop looking at them! Can't wait until my Festive Frame set arrives! Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

Darla said...

Beautiful Melanie!!
What great ideas to dress up some simple gifts. I always keep a cupboard full of jar candles as gifts for all occasions when I may have "overlooked" someone, or just don't have time to make it to the store... they're wonderful.

Theresa said...

Received this set last week...great ideas to use. Thanks.

Kim said...

Melanie what an AMAZING set you have created! This is so gorgeous and your projects are out of this world! They are all BEAUTIFUL!!!! Wonderful work hun!
Hugs~ Kim

Jessica said...

Oh Melanie!!!What a beautiful stamp set!I hope to be able to follow the blog tonight. I'm not usually online in the evening. That's usually my other halfs turn. But we'll see. Maybe I can bump him off early! TFS

Gulffire said...

There doesn't even need to be a contest for me to comment on how absolutely gorgeous and practical!! these projects are. What beautiful work.

Brenda said...

Wowza Melanie, these are all fabulous!! I really like the "grandparents card", wonderful idea. I am loving this set.TFS

Jessica said...

I haven't quite finished the blog hop, but you were here in the list so I'm back! I just love your stamp set! The more I see of it the more I think I'll have to have it! TFS

Donna said...

wow!you managed to kick the versatility of this set up about 5 notches - I LOVE all of the projects! dang, should have bought some of those waterproof labels (next time-ha) my favorite is the frame of the boys - the grandparents will cherish that!

Selma said...

What a beautiful frame Melanie. My most favorite thing to receive at Christmas (or anytime) is pictures of my grandkids. This one is gorgeous. The other gifts are also fabulous. This stamp set is so beautiful and versitle.

Cheryl said...

I really need to show this to my daughter as this would make the best Christmas gift ever! My grandkids are my treasure here on earth and this card would be cherished. Thanks for the idea.
Cheryl Sims

Deb said...

Once again, I'm blown away! Every project is gorgeous! What my mother wouldn't give to get a frame like that full of Matthew pictures! ;)

I love getting to see how the original illustrator uses the set! I'm gonna go back and play some more!

harrahx2 said...

You are always so clever! Is there anything you don't do well? I can't imagine it if there is. Thanks so much for all you share and how much you care.

Sue D said...

This stamp really makes wonderful gifts--thanks so much!

Tinker and JingeBear's Mom said...

You never cease to amaze me! I love all these projects - great ideas for all year!
~ky

Lagene said...

The grandparent card is wonderful!

Jo said...

Beautiful Gift ideas! I appreciate all the inspiration.

Stampin' Pam said...

Melanie you continually blow my mind with your projects your stamp sets and your creativity. I can't even begin to keep up with all you do - WONDER WOMAN!!! Love ya girl!

Marsha said...

Melanie, these are absolutely beautiful projects. The photo project of your boys is amazing.

stampkat said...

Melanie,

This is an absolutely stunning set! I love all of your projects. Thank you for all of your creative ideas.

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Melanie, your projects are absolutely beautiful and your creativity never ends. It's just wonderful. Thankyou for your fabulous inspiration. :)

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of the most beautiful stamps I've seen in a while. I love what you have shown us so far - can't wait to see more!
jmgeisler

Tami said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thanks for the inspiration

Juli Smith, SU! Demo said...

Awesome ideas as usual Melanie!

Christi said...

Wow!!! The picture card is absolutely stunning, Melanie! So beautiful! I love the gorgeous labels you made too!

lisa808 said...

Wow, your grandparents' frame is gorgeous!

Sandra said...

wonderful!
Sandra

Nancy said...

I know I missed the blog candy but that's ok, I have a bow easy and boy, is it WONDERFUL!

I just had to tell you how much I LOVE this project. I would love to make one for ME to have and get out each year to see how much the kids are growing... and they are already grown! But since my son is getting married, who knows? Maybe there will be grandbabies down the line to make these cards for. (I just hope my son & fiancee wait longer than Karl and I did to have their first baby. lol!)

Just GORGEOUS!pri

TexasGrammy said...

Melanie,
I am so happy that I've read your post. I really didn't understand the waterproof labels idea until tonight! Your projects are absolutely wonderful... true delights!

~Bev