Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Guest Designer: Brenda Turner

Please welcome my latest guest designer, Brenda Turner! Brenda will be sharing several projects using "Square Pegs" here and on her own blog over the next few weeks. Today she has a shabby chic valentine, keeping the stamping to a minimum using just the XO image.
She framed it up in a Labels Nine diecut, I like that she used this shape, it shows this image, even though it has right angles, isn't just for squares! ;) Her design uses the stamp like both the focal point and greeting and then she got to play around filling up the background with embossed layers of Basic Grey Bittersweet prints and Pure Luxury pinks using more die cuts.

Here is a little more about Brenda, in her own words:
FAVORITE TECHNIQUE:
My favorite techniques are sponging and coloring. It is rare that I make anything that doesn't have at least one if not both of these techniques.

COLORS/COLOR COMBO:
I love almost all colors, with blues and greens being my favorite. I tend to use earth tones a lot to.

FAVORITE GINA K SET BY MELANIE:
A Year of Flowers, it is so fun to color and create groups of flowers. A Year of Flowers is my most used Gina K set.

FAVORITE GINA K SETS (FROM ANY ILLUSTRATOR
This is a hard question, their are so many wonderful sets. I will stick with A Year of Flowers. I really enjoyed working with Festive Frame during the Holidays. Take Flight is another one I love to use. Of course Theresa's sets are right up there at the top of my favorites. ;) *

CRAFT SUPPLIES I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT:
Copics

I’VE BEEN STAMPING FOR (HOW LONG):
I did a little stamping in the late nineties, but went back to work after being a stay at home mom. With work and being a wife and mother I had no time for stamping and had to give it up. Then about 3 years ago I was invited to a Stampin' Up party and I was bit by the stamping bug in a big way.

I GET MY INSPIRATION FROM:
Mostly other paper crafters. I enjoy looking at blogs and the SplitCoast Stampers gallery. My favorite place for inspiration is StampTV, the gallery there is full of the most amazing creations.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT STAMPING/CARDMAKING ARE:
To have fun.

SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING GOALS ARE:
I would love to be published some day. Of course I would need to submit before that can happen.

FAVORITE THING TO MAKE THAT AREN’T CARDS:
Any type of treat bag or box. I also enjoy making gift card holders.

SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
My biggest accomplishment was making Center Stage for StampTV. I was so happy and honored to be picked and I had the best time. I was also on the design team for Pile It On last year. I choose to step down from that position at the end of last year.

CHALLENGES I LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN:
I love the challenges on StampTV. I will do some other challenges if one strikes me, but mostly I stick with the StampTV ones.

WHAT I DO WHEN I’M NOT STAMPING:
I hang out with my family. We love to go camping and kayaking when the weather is nice.
*you all know that they're related, right?!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is such a pretty card Brenda has made using your set!! I love her design, it's so creative! Congrats to Brenda for being chosen this month's Guest Designer. Looking forward to seeing more throughout the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Brenda! I am wowed by all the paper-piecing/quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilted background for that image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda created such a beautiful quilted background card! It really pops and love the coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda its wonderful!!! and big congrats on being Guest Designer! i always enjoy your creations (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol Lovely!!
    I am into shabby chic! Always am... that's the one phase that's just never left me..
    Now dish! ** How are you related??
    & to whom?? I'm confused... to Theresa or Melanie??**

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)