Wednesday, December 19, 2012

CardMaker Blog Hop: For You, From Me

Good morning! Welcome to my first hop with the CardMaker Blog Team! Tanya and Brooke challenged us to make last minute gift card holders this month and I am so excited to see what everyone is sharing today.


  A dear friend (wink! I *know* she's reading) introduced me to a tradition of sending an ornament as a gift for Christmas.  Although the ornament is only out for a few weeks, I get so much enjoyment from pulling out the decorations each year for our tree and hanging up the ones she's chosen for me over the years, just melting my heart thinking of my friend, then getting glimpses of them throughout the Christmas season as I walk through the room! So here is an ornament that will hold a gift card which the recipient can still use after the shopping is done!

I chose some super fancy Nestabilities (because nothing with ornate details like these could ever look "last minute"!) to cut out the front and back of my ornament and to cut the window for the gift card and photo to show through.  This small Romantic Rectangle die (2 7/8" x 1 7/8") nests perfectly in one of the larger Floral Ovals (5" x 4"), so you can cut them out in one pass.  TIP: Hold your various dies over the the gift card to make sure the die you choose is slightly smaller than the card in order to select the best shape and size die for the project before you do any cutting.  Cut and emboss two (using White Pure Luxury Base weight, you'll want a heavy cardstock for those tiny cut outs, which will also be sturdier to last more than one Christmas!) and then place your gift card over one opening.
 
Place Foam Squares (Scrapbook Adhesives 3L) along the bottom and sides of the card, these keep the gift card from falling out and ensure you have room to put it in.   
Don't put any along the top so you can get the card out.    
 
Then I used my gift card as a template to trim around my wallet sized photo, knowing it would fit perfectly behind the frame but not stick out the sides if I made it the same size as the card. 
Use permanent adhesive to put the photo directly behind the opening on the second die cut, as this will remain in the ornament.  

The back of the photo will be covered with colored cardstock (Gina K Pure Luxury Cherry Red) and I added a little white panel I printed with our name and date over it.  
Stick the two sides together.
 
The personalized panel is revealed when you remove the gift card and what you'll have is a two sided ornament for next year.  As an afterthought, I stamped and embossed a little flourish from Border Bling with some Crystal EP for some shimmer, but it definitely would have been better to do this before adding my photos and the Foam Squares (TIP:  If you you end up doing some stamping or embossing after, cover the opening with the rectangular die cut piece you already cut out, that really helped in not making a huge glittery melted mess of my photo!)   
 
I also added a few adhesive pearls.  Last I punched a hole through both sides with my Cropodile and tied some dotted ribbon through.  Ready to hang (or send!  This is on my tree for getting a photo for this hop but it is now in the mail!! (By the way, I am so sad I don't have a single photo of my friend and I together! wahh! So the whole family will have to do...)  
The recipient will need to untie the ribbon to get the gift card out.
 
I think I will surprise the boys with some of these (more macho and kid friendly that this, of course!) as I love making ornaments with their photos from that I can see year after year. (that's William as a toddler playing with the nativity scene behind it, 2nd Christmas!)  How fun it would be to hang some gift cards and send them on a hunt searching all over the heavily decorated tree to find the one with the newest photo and a little spending money at a favorite store!  

Hope you enjoy this idea!  So many ways to make them, a new one each year, that becomes a beautiful collection over time.

Enjoy hopping for my last minute gift card holders from the CardMaker team!!  Ready to get inspired myself and take some notes on what else to make this holiday season!


AJ 

  Thanks for visiting!

23 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the ornament doing double duty as a gift card holder, too! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS!!! I am soooo doing this!!! I was going to mke one today as it was!! Woot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea Melanie. Love it. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. Great idea, terrific execution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made ornaments for my sisters one year and they all said they loved them. Might have to do that again. I so enjoyed the one you have created and making it a gift card holder is even more awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to give gift cards, and the picture of your family makes it extra special. Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. <<--big ornament lover here so I am diggin this! What a great family pic and i love how elegant it looks framed so fancily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a clever idea and you're right...nothing last minute about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeks, how cool!! Love your gift card holder/ornament and such a fun presentation! Great job and love your family pic too! Good to be hopping with you again my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, Melanie! I love the idea of sending an ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both your ideas, the gift card holder and the photo ornaments. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea of sending ornament to hang on the trees. I will work on that for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If some one desires expert view about blogging and site-building after that
    i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this blog, Keep up the
    pleasant job.
    Also visit my webpage - india forex

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are soooo clever! What a fabulous and beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful idea. By the way, you have a beautiful family.

    Blessings,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this idea for a gift card holder and ornament in one! Thanks for shareing! You have a beautiful family! God Bless You! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie, this is SO pretty and creative! The photo ornament idea is so smart and what a sweet surprise when someone takes out the gift card! Beautiful family lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. squeal....I am the friend...i am the friend! love it so much and i will love taking it out each year to put on my tree. love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is such an amazing idea and such a beautiful way to give a gift card. Saving this for future casing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations on being on the Cardmaker blog team! I love this idea, so special to see the kids as they grow up ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)