Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sneak Peek: Take Flight (Free Set!)

Since you've already seen some peeks of "Tropical Flowers", and they go so beautifully with this set "Take Flight" from Gina K, the Free with Three Set this month (they just keep getting better and better every month, don't they?!) , I thought I'd go ahead and use them today on the same sample. Is this new butterfly gorgeous, or what?


I used several shades of light and dark blue and aquas on the wings to give them the iridescent quality of the Morpho butterfly, one of the most brilliant blues found in nature! Then I decided to go ahead and pull out my Brilliant Blue CS( which I don't think I've ever used on my blog!!) and found that putting it with the Bashful Blue mat and Ballet Blue tag, the different shades tone down the base and these different shades of blue really work like the different scales of a butterfly's wings, I like it! The sparkle you see is from tracing the lines with my Blue Copic atyou Spica pen. Bending the wings out from the body and then ends back down a bit before popping it up on a dimensional will make it look like a real one just lit on your card!


I love how the curves of the Labels One Nestie mats echo the butterfly shape. I continued this theme by choosing an oval shape for my greeting and using my corner rounder punch on the base. The flower silhouette is done by coloring my Ballet Blue, Brilliant Blue and Old Olive and Always Artichoke markers directly to the stamp, stamping, and then stamping off to create the lighter bloom on the left. "Dream" was inked up separately from the "Let your (dream)s take flight" quote in the "Take Flight" set, and framed up with SU! Silver Hodge Podge.

Here are more peeks from our designers:

Gina K
and Carolina Buchting, our In the Spotlight Designer this month!

See you tonight 7PM CST at the party!! (it's okay, you can be late!) Don't forget to check back on my blog before it starts to see who won my new "Hand in Hand" set! :) (don't know what I'm talking about? Read this, you might still have time to make something and enter!!)

28 comments:

  1. Are you kidding??? I will NOT be late!!! Butterflies!!!!! I LOVE Butterflies!!!!! And sparkle!!! YEP.......I also am addicted to my Atyou pens!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow gorgeous. Your work always makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely gorgeous card and butterfly image!! Love all the curves on the card! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my goodness, this is spectacuar! What a breathtaking card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! The whole card is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your fabulous card. I look forward to see your creation everyday. Can't wait to see the whole set. Thanks for a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful, Mel. The Morpho is one of my favorites! You did a gorgeous job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the bright blue colors! And gorgeous coloring on that butterfly Mel! Neat way you did the ribbon too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this card is absolutely stunning! I lOVE the Big Butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just gorgeous! check you out, the Morpho butterfly I don't know any variety other than the Monarch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty bold colors! I can never get bright colors to turn out well together - but you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a gorgeous stamp and you've coloured it amazingly! It looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh...this is STUNNING, Melanie!! Wow, wow, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melanie, this is gorgeous! I love that you combine two of the soon to be released sets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! That card is breath-taking!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WAOW!!!! This is stunning! (even better when you click on it for the giant version! ;-)).
    Blue is my favorite color and this butterfly really speaks to me, talk about uplifting! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gasp! This is GORGEOUS, Mel! Love those blue flowers with the gorgeous butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, YES gorgeous! WOW! And the blues really just make that card! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Melanie! Love the deep blues and that butterfly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful card. I love butterflies and yours are coloured beautifully. It's funny...I was so taken away with the butterflies I didn't even notice that they were layered on the label nesties!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this colour. (My fave) You made the flower & flutterby look so very real (and really extremely lovely.) Breathtaking! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this is such a stunning card Mel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These butterflies are gorgeous, yes, but how you used it with these colors is just breath taking!! Gorgeous!!
    hugs, Jami

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so gorgeous - I love that butterfly and your colours make me swoon!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)