Monday, April 27, 2009

Faking it: Leather and Other Stuff

SO I love Paper Temptress Leather CS (which is 40% off this month!!), and it is perfect for Theresa's new "Out West" set! Although Patricia doesn't currently carry it in brown, you can create a custom color by inking up her white or ivory leather CS and this will have a more realistic-looking patina than a solid brown finish would. The piece on the right is ivory, the piece on the left is ivory I sponged with Antique Linen and Rich Cocoa inks. I stamped the boots onto the same paper and shaded them with my Copics, the colorless blender moves the ink around so nicely on this paper.

I also used my Scor Bug to create a pierced outline around the mat, as well as just free-handing some curved pierced lines all over it to mimic the tooled design on the boots. (I had a moment of Uh-oh, I don't know this is going to look!) but I think it turned out really nice, yay! (whew!) I used the Labels One die and Fancy Corner punches, leaving them ivory for contrast and a two tone effect(labels One die was sponged a tiny bit with the stencil in place to make the outline pop. Base and oval frame are Gina K Pure Luxury Chocolate Kiss.

So how do you like the fancy edge on that brown frame? You can make it with the Scalloped Oval Nestabilites. Cut out a scalloped oval like you normally would (I also cut out a smaller classic oval to make the window) and then offset the scalloped die so it will cut into the middle of each hump, it gives you this super fancy edge when you cut it again! Because the oval is not symmetrical in the way a circle is when you offset it like this you get these small and large humps, but if you do it with a die like a circle, you can fake the "Pinking Circles" set of Nestabilities dies, see below.

Here I'm using the petite scalloped circle die. I've already cut my red paper and rotated it just slightly so I see a little "arrowhead" pointing inward between each hump.

After you run it back through, the little piece will fall out and you have a perfectly "pinked" edge! You can get this effect with the regular scalloped dies as well, you'll just have bigger points. Although I have MOST of the Nestabilities sets, the pinking edge is not a set I ever bought, although it really looks cools with certain images, so this way, I don't have to buy them! (and you don't either! that's $25 you save! ) :)


Here's to faking it!

20 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What a great way to personalize your leather colors...and your nestabilities idea is genius. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am blown away. Love the "pinking" you created with your Nesties. Fantastic card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! Your ideas are so creative & magnificent. I love your blog. Your cards are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing techniques & card! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tips! I love that brown oval frame and the brown leather looks like the real thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, what a great idea!!!! Now I won't have to buy the pinking nesties!!! Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial tip!!!

    You're always thinking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas and types Mel. Thanks for sharing and I love the card. Nice job, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is my re-post...I had a nasty spelling error in the 1st one...my bad!

    What a fab idea! I always love when I can use the supplies I have to change things up a bit and not have to go out and buy more tools. You are brilliant! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT! Gorgeous coloring and that leather paper looks fab! The corner punch and piercing are perfect with the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card! Love the leather trick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am soooo DISAPPOINTED, after seeing this card I RAN to my mailbox to see if I had gotten my package of this wonderful stamp set and your new WEE TEE's which I want sooo badly. They weren't there, oh well I have to go wipe the tears but hopefully they will be here tomorrow so I can CASE this card LOL!! This leather paper still blows me away with how much like leather it really looks like and now that we know you can color coordinate it with anything the possibilities are endless!

    Patricia
    www.papertemptress.com
    Check out PaperTemptress's blog
    and April's specials!
    www.blogs.papertemptress.com



    "A GIRL CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH PAPER" - Lisa Bearnson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, that nestabilities technique is so clever! Really creative, I'm going to have to give that a try! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea on the nesties, just genius I tell ya! And the leather look soo awesome! LOVE it Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love saving money and these little tricks make me smile! Thanks! Love all your great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK! That is possibly the most useful and cost saving tip I've seen in a long time. Genius! Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas with us lesser mortals lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your tips Melanie. The leather paper looks great. Thanks for telling us how to create new nestie frames with what we have. You are so creative. Love your stamps and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Melanie.
    Thank you so much for the tip with the Nesties, I've just created my first card after trying it on the scallop ovals.
    Hugs
    Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I just love the Nestabilities trick. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)