Monday, March 15, 2010

Sneek Peek Day 2: By Your Side and Happy Spring Card kit

Day two and two new sets to preview! The first is from Asela Hopkins, "By your Side" and I have to say it is my favorite set of hers so far! I really like the Asian feel, and we actually have a koi pond in our backyard, so these little fish were calling my name! I love how the contours of the larger and smaller fish are nesting together, making sort of a yin and yang if you will! Since together they made this natural oval shape, I thought it would be really pretty to try framing them in my new "A Beautiful Life" frame as thought you're looking down into a pool of water surrounded by flowers...
Everything is colored with Copics, I used this link for help with Koi marking and colors, and sued Strong Red, Apricot and Honey Copics on the fish and tulips. (I've never made any tulips deep orange like this, and I don't know what I was waiting for! The black white and red color combo give the card a very Zen feel, base is the new Pure Luxury Red Hot.

Now here is the same card, but I wanted to try to simulate a pool of water for them to swim in, without having to color. A mat of Ocean Mist works quite nicely! :) The cool aqua is such a gorgeous contrast with the Red Hot base. Having the window cut out actually looks like I added two layers, but really it's only once just a larger mat. Which do you like better, I can't decide LOL!

Next up is the new Card Kit "Happy Spring". It has an adorable mix of garden images and sentiments, plus some beautiful new patterned papers, I actually used FOUR different prints here for my background and to piece the little hat, gloves, and seed packets! Instead of a traditional card, I made a seed pouch with Pure Luxury Kraft. Cut a piece of CS 4 1/4" x 11, then score at 1" and 6 1/4", then fold. You can hold the bottom part together with staples, matchbook style, or use brads, eyelets, or even just some tied ribbon like I did here and then tuck the front flap under.

Here you can see the pouch opened, I stamped another greeting from the set at the top and tucked a little morning glory packet inside. I love the earthy, natural element the Kraft CS gives this project!

This is such an easy and inexpensive little gift to make for friends, neighbors, or teachers and a great way to kick off the new season! Hope it inspires! One change you will LOVE to the card kits is that they now have FULL sheets of cardstock and exclusive designer paper instead of precut pieces, now YOU can customize the size of your mats to create your own layouts, or copy the versions Jessica created for the kit! :)


Are you ready for even more inspiration?


Then, find out more information about the new Card Kit here:
Jessica Fick


Finally, check out these Designer's blogs:
Asela Hopkins {Illustrator of By Your Side}



Jennie Harper - our Guest Designer for this Month!

StampTV is celebrating it's first birthday and the festivities are in full swing with this month's release! We'll be holding this month's Release Party on StampTV and couldn't be more excited about all that Gina has planned for everyone! The party kicks off this Thursday, March 18th starting at 7pm and ends at 10pm (all times CST) when all the new products will be available for purchase in Gina's online store.


To keep informed of all the party plans and activities, check out this link:

18 comments:

  1. Framed Koi! Oh how stunning, Mel!
    I so love gazing into ponds of large beautiful fishies!!

    ~Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, amazing, amazing and might I add amazing! Gorgeous, I love the koi and would love to have a koi garden so that makes this card even more special! Thanks for sharing with us and I am really looking forward to the new release. there are several images from the sneak peek that have already caught my interest!

    Patricia
    the PaperTemptress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous coloring on the tulips and koi! Love the seed pack idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love those fish -and I can't decide which I like better either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't decide which one I like better either! They are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - the Koi are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you framed your koi. I'm enjoying your new set sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie,
    I love both the koi fish cards I do favor the one with the blue mat more though. I like your idea of putting some seed in the garden card also. excellent projects as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Mel! Such a neat idea with the seed packet! And love the koi cards, I like the one with them 'swimming' in the water myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards, Melanie! I love the koi cards - the coloring is so vibrant! I especially like the one with the aqua mat! Great ideas for the Happy Spring card and seed pack holder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie, I love the coloring on the koi fish and they perfect in your tulip frame. Love the seed packet card too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job on these Mel! Love the Koi fish and the way you colored them and the tulips :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful card. Koi are such pretty fish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the way you framed the koi! Beautiful. That seed gift card is a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, Melanie! Love your seed packet idea - I've got to do some of those! The fish/tulip card is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you created the water with the Koi. Your cards are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)