Friday, June 4, 2010

Hoppy, hoppy birthday!

Here is a birthday card I submitted for publication recently, I hadn't used this set in awhile and just had a blast revisiting it! To this day "Just So Hoppy" is still one of my favorite animal sets.

I started with a side fold A2 card made from Pure Luxury White, then cut off the right side of the front. Then I made s smaller card from Black Onyx that would open the reverse way, when you layer it inside the larger card, the flap folds over the front. That design I know as a "joy fold", I first saw it several years ago from Valerie Stangle. The little photo turn holds it closed. DP is Basic Grey Sugar Rush.

When opened, it reveals a larger version of the kangaroo scene with not just one balloon , but many streaming out the pocket: hoppy birthday!! Mask the balloons to get this effect. I colored the ones on the inside with Copics, choosing the colors from the DP, and added the strings with a fine black pen. The little shadow I made underneath the kangaroo is a Pale Lavender Copic, it brings out the periwinkle from the DP and is a little brighter and happier than just gray (that and my cool grays need refilling LOL!)
The little die cut heart on the left covers the brad I poked through for the photo turn. (I remembered to decorate my envelope too, hip hip hurray! ) ;) These balloons are paper pieced with the patterned paper.

This card did not get accepted but I am very grateful to have something I can share with you right now, as stamping time has been very limited lately! I will be showing a few cards though I have in the latest issue of CardMaker , it is now available, and this issue is especially near and dear to my heart, you'll see why! More to come!


Have a terrific weekend!

9 comments:

  1. This wasn't accepted? Jeez! I think this card is awsome! Your coloring is fantastic, and I love the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always learn something from your posts Melanie ---- today it was using a small cut-out to cover a brad (duh! But sometimes it takes seeing something to get the brain working!!) and that one can use something other than gray for shadows. Light lavender is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Love the fold and all the stamping and paper piecing inside and out - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is still one of my favorites also. Love the card. Way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is still one of my favorites also. Love the card. Way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome Mel!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! The bright colors are awesome! And I forgot about this type of card fold. I will have to play around with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful birthday card! Beyond me why it wasn't accepted - love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)