Monday, July 19, 2010

Aloha Gifts...

Ever since I first saw Theresa's "Aloha" set, I have been wanting to use it with "Gifts from the Sea"! Finally did, and I love the results!
I started creating a ginormous moon to be a backdrop for the quote from "Gifts from the Sea", just sponged around a large Circle Nestability with Vivid Inky Blue and sponging below a sheet of scratch paper covering the top to make the horizon. TIP: If you are using similar colors to color in your images as what you are stamping with, try using that same ink for the whole card, here I used the Inky Blue for everything, greeting, sponging, and images, and it really unifies it all and goes so much better for a "sea" card than black would, at elast in this color scheme. Even though this ink is not waterproof, the green, brown and gray Copics I used to color over the tree and shells look okay! (now trying to color pink or yellow over the blue would give you some trouble LOL!!)

Then I added my birds and stamped Theresa's little reflecting islands (I love these!) on either side and a palm tree in the foreground. I created the waves* with an Inkssentials white pen and the little stippled shoals from "Aloha". For a more feminine card, her flowers cut out and popped up would be perfect embellishments , but I was going for a more masculine feel so I used my shells and the seashell border....
Card base is Pure Luxury Tan Leather sponged with Vintage Photo Distressing ink, which I also used for the sand, this was my first time to use this color and I love that warm golden, rich brown, very different from any of my other "brown" inks! It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but I also scored three lines to the right of the scene in the Pure Luxury In the Navy cardstock, lovin' my new Scor-Buddy for these 1/8" scores!! :)

* My son Jonathan peeked over my shoulder just after I finished sponging and asked what the quote meant. I explained, "You know, like the waves go on forever, it's endless," I replied. "But there AREN'T any waves Mom! Your water is flat! Now that is a huge problem!" Yeah, he was right, but I wasn't finished yet! :D

15 comments:

Julie said...

awesome card, very pretty and well thought out...

Toni K said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

Libby Hickson said...

Gorgeous card Melanie! And what a smart little guy you have. :-)

Justine said...

This is WOW Melanie, I adore it

Theresa Momber said...

OMGosh, it is absolutely heavenly!

lisa808 said...

Stunning card!

Carla (cmsuto) said...

Absolutely stunning, Melanie! What a gorgeous beach scene! The two sets work so well together!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Gorgeous card, Mel! I have been wanting to combine the sets also, and now I just must!

Kathy Braun and Lucky said...

Oh how beautiful is this card, of course all your cards are beautiful, but this one is so peaceful.

Lori said...

LOL, leave it to a child to point out the serious stuff. To, cute! Your card is so gorgeous. The scene is just amazing!

Jennie said...

Oh, wow...this is gorgeous Melanie! Beautiful scene, I so want to be there :o)

Deebi27 said...

This card is a knock down great card! These feels to be sooo many different textures in this card...wonderful!

Sharon Harnist said...

Gorgeous, Mel -- I thought these two sets would look great together, too! Will I see you at CHA?

Pat W said...

I love your card. Thanks for sharing.

Tina Gilliland said...

OMGosh this is stunning!!! I love it! Sheesh... I missed this while traveling to WI. Gorgeous, gorgeous!!