Thursday, July 15, 2010

Piu! Piu! Thank you! Piu Piu!

Do you know what piu piu! is? It's that sound my kids make when they are playing Star Wars or chasing each other around with pretending to shoot things laser guns: "piu, piu!! piu-piu!!" Get it now? (If you got it without me explaining, I'll bet money you have little boys!) I don't really know how to spell that sound effect so help me out if you can come up with something better! Anyway, this past weekend we had a laser tag birthday party for my son Jonathan, fun was had by all! (I, ahem, won.*) Although I can't decorate cakes like Janice does, I do like to order a huge yummy sheet cake from Costco** each year but skip having them decorate it, I just put my own spin on it to suit our themed party (see this post for the Diego cake a couple years ago, that was a fun one!)

Anyway, this past weekend we had a laser tag birthday party for my son Jonathan, fun was had by all! (I, ahem, won.*) Although I can't decorate cakes like Janice does, I do like to order a huge yummy sheet cake from Costco** each year but skip having them decorate it, I just put my own spin on it to suit our themed party (see this post for the Diego cake a couple years ago, that was a fun one!) Jonathan and I had blast (hee!) piping on some glitter gel laser beams together in blue and green onto the cake then adding a large water gun from the dollar store and a bunch of glow sticks coming out of the cake, the 8 year olds boys just went nuts for this! (If it had been up to me we would have done just a few less frosted beams and glow sticks, but the birthday boy wants what the birthday boy wants! ) Wish I could have gotten a better pic, especially after we lit the candles (the lights wouldn't go off completely in the party room!), I lined them up in front of the gun like the gun lit it, he loved that!

We needed to make a bunch of nice thank you cards for everyone after it was over so I took inspiration from our game and the cake that day to come up with fun and easy design, great for boys, using Fun Year Round, can I just say again how great it is to have that extra line in the set?! ;) I stamped the line in red and turquoise on three sides, not bothering to mask, like they were bouncing off the walls of the maze and added some of the large and small elements from the set to look like little explosions ! I made 10 of these cards in a flash, just punching out the greeting with a 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punch. Card stock is Tempting Turquoise, Black Onyx and Red Hot. There are so many other cool, spacey color combos you could use or take the colors from your party supplies to coordinate.


Laser tag, anyone?



* Which was very fortunate because I might have talked a biiiig talk to everyone before the game started that I would, LOL! My wining strategy: hide upstairs where you can snipe and keep the gun on rapid fire the whole time; who cares if your final accuracy percentage stinks, fire off the most rounds and you'll win! ;)



** Their cakes are the best deal ever!! $16.99 for a an iced, decorated and filled sheet cake that serves 40, moist, delcicious and icing that's not too sugary

7 comments:

  1. Now Melanie, don't know you other than from following your blog, buying your stamp sets... but why am I not surprised that you would have such a devious plan to win at laser tag??? Your kids are lucky to have you as their mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID know! LOL. And I DO have a 5 year old boy. Giggle. But ours sounds a little more like Pyow-Pyow. Fun post, Mel. Great cake and cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I totally knew what "piu-piu" was :o) Yep, got boys and that is a common sound in this house! I love the looks on the boys faces as Jonathon is looking at his gift, they are checking it out! Too funny...

    Great card and never would have thought of that. Just perfect for thank you's. That is one awesome cake too. Nice job :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to share my laugh with you. When you sent us to look at a past cake, I pulled up the page and thought, NO SHE DIDN'T, SHE DIDN'T GIVE THAT CHILD A BANNANA for a birthday cake...........then I scanned down but it did give me quite a laugh! My how grown up he is looking now. Hugs and TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! No sons, but 5 nephews, so I got it right off. Perfect spelling! I love the cake, you two spiced up and the card is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melanie...will have to send this to my daughter in FL for Cody's next birthday party (he's 4 now)...what fun!
    Jan Castle

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute birthday cake... I'll have to borrow your idea... soo cute.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)