Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Blast from the Past Day 4

Hello! Welcome to Day 4 of our Blast from the Past Hop! Tonight we are featuring some favorite sets from Carolyn King and Asela Hopkins.


My first sample tonight uses one of Carolyn's earlier sets, "Framed Flowers". It is such a versatile set and so fun to use the little window to frame up the many sweet bold flowers in the set, grass and greetings. These images are perfect for the direct to stamp technique using your waterbased markers.
After going through my DP trove, while many would have been a lovely match, you can never go wrong making your own background to match using your stamps , especially with bold stamps, it goes quickly and couldn't be more perfectly coordinated! Aren't those little flowers so precious? In apricot on Ivory they have such a retro, vintage feel. TIP: If you want more contrast after coloring your rubber and stamping, you can go back and trace over certain parts with your fine tip markers. I first intended to make a card just using earthy colors, but then I reached for this Sweet Corn striped ribbon which had these lovely blues as well and realized using a Little Boy Blue card base would be so much more interesting! So thank you, ribbon! I masked the frame and sponged in a bit of blue ink to bring just a hint of that color into my focal point, then added some punched Grass Green flourishes, some punched curved corners, and a paper flower I colored to match. Finally a few Pure Luxury buttons and I'm done! :) Love this card, love this set!


Next I have this card using Asela's "The Journey". The quote about "faith unlocking the door" inspired me to try cutting the door open on three sides with a craft knife and fold back the last side so it could stand slightly ajar, allowing just a sliver of the golden yellow Wild Dandelion mat to show from behind...
Before coloring I also snipped some diagonals from scratch paper and placed them over the the left side of the door which I covered with sticky notes. I sponged on some yellow ink and then removed and colored my image. Now I have some rays peeking out, suggesting a glimpse of the glory and wonder that is revealed and doors that are opened when we put our faith in Him. What a comfort that promise it!
For even more samples of some of our favorite 'Blast from the Past' GinaK Designs stamp sets, check out these participating designer's blogs:

One more day to go!! Aren't you curious what will be at the end?!! Thanks for visiting today! :)

12 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love how you had the sun kissing the door! Thanks for showing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did the rays, beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I love the flowers galore on your first card! And the sunrays....STUNNING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first card is a real Wow! It's stunning. Love the corners and all the embellishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,
    I love both these cards! The first one strikes me the most. I can't wait to get to STV and put it in my favs. I have the set but never used it this way. Thanks so much for your continued inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards! Beautiful details on the first. Love those sun rays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful designs! You card so clever. love the sunshine rays!

    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! The sunrays coming out of the door. Or should I say SONrays! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks as if I could just walk through the door, what an amazing card! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful cards, Melanie. I love the work you did with Asela's Journey set providing dimension with the door and revealing the rays of light. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing cards Melanie! Love all the beautiful details on your first card; and the second card with the "unlocked" door and sun rays is so bright and uplifting! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)