Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bravo!


Today's card was inspired by Paula Laird, many of you might know by her by mrslaird her SCS name, I had the pleasure of meeting her a few weeks ago. While we were discussing stamps (of course!) she mentioned the lack of "theater stamps" available, as she has many people who perform she would like to make cards for, and mentioned roses (among other things) being suitable images for an opening night. Living in the artsy town I do and a lover of the arts myself, I wanted to make a card that would work for this occasion also, my very talented friend Ken Bradley regularly appears in numerous plays around Austin and I would love to give him a special card next time I turn out for a performance! So here's my tribute "to the theater", a single red rose (from "A Year of Flowers")and drink (from "A Charmed Life"), with black and white accents, that gorgeous DP is Black Market Ebony and Alabaster that Gina K sells, and the halfback pearl accents configured this way add elegance (but are also a nod to the stage lights or a lit marquis!) Don't forget to add them to the charm ring!


I wanted to share this card today especially because I used just two red Copics for flower and wine, the same ones I used in this tutorial Gina has featured on StampTV right now, Cardinal and Lipstick Red, R59 and R29. For the "in between" shades, I did some tip to tip coloring by picking up ink from my darker Cardinal Copic with my lighter strong red Copic and coloring. I made that large BRAVO with my Just Rite 95 pt Times Roman alpha and rectangle stamper, it adds such drama, and I love how the large wine glass and rose image can support a huge greeting like this one. After stamping my word and rose, I stamped off both onto the bottom of the glass before cutting out and mounting it over each image to make the glass look translucent, to see "step by steps" of this same technique, see Theresa'a tutorial. Card also uses Gina K Pure Luxury White and Black Onyx.
Have a great day, thank you for visiting!

23 comments:

  1. WHOA! how stunning this is! absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your talents with the world of stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with debinicol! This is absolutely stunning Melanie! I can only imagine what it looks like in person! Love the black and white with the rich ruby red/wine colors.
    What an amazing color job! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning card, Melanie! So elegant! I love the way the wine and rose are colored! The DP is so dramatic - hope it comes back in stock soon! Gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is magnificent card! It's a Very stylishly! A beautiful combination of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning Mel! That rose and wine, just beautifully colored and love the pearls on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! And I agree - there aren't good theater stamps out there (or at least I haven't found them!). My mom & sister are very much involved in theater, my mom has mentioned wishing she had a theater masks stamp, so I've been on the lookout! Your card is really perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! this is so striking! BRAVO my friend for a card well done *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just gorgeous! I love it! Your rose and wine are both colored so magnificently! I say Bravo to you for such a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG how beautiful!!! Also a great card to give my son who plays piano recitals often. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your card is stunning and would be perfect for any one in the arts , would also be great tuned into a romance card with the word love on the front of it ! Great colors and as always awesome work have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning. You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've created one beautiful card, Melanie!! It's so rich looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW that rose looks so real.....it positively pops off the paper. This card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. one word....
    AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very elegant and just stunning Melanie - wow!!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

    ReplyDelete
  16. Encore, Encore!!!! What a fabulous tribute to Theater!!! Ohhhhh is Paula ever gonna LOVE this!!!! You are amazing........I know I say that all the time.....but it's sooo true!!! This is just so beautifully colored....I really am practicing....but I need a lot more time still!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the graphic black, white and red! would be a terrific anniversary card.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops! I didn't finish my post...

    'would be a terrific anniversary card by changing the word Bravo to Love or something similar.

    Beautiful colouring!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Too gorgeous for words!!!! I love, love, love it! Holy cow! And I always give my husband a bottle of wine when he's in a play, too! :)This is just amazing! I have been meaning to come comment on how fabulous this set is but we've had tons of company since getting home from Austin. Melanie, you ROCK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, and I just showed this to my husband and he loves it, too! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did a triple take when I saw this card -- I honestly though that was a stunning photograph of a real rose!!! It looks gorgeous!!

    I would love a tutorial on how you put together this card.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)