Thursday, April 30, 2009

Guest Designer: Libby Hickson


Today Libby Hickson rocked out an "ALL Boy" "Wee Tees" Card, literally, and I love how she shows us a great example of how to show off images in this set without using the onesie! This fabulous sketch is from Jen del Muro. I am just lovin' this layout, the colors, the popped up pieces and the little beaded all boy strung like a baby bracelet, it's too cute!! Libby, where'd you get those letters?? must have!! LOL!

A little more about Libby, in her own words :

Favorite:
Technique-- Is sewing on cards considered a technique? It's one of my favorite things to do these days! I also love the cracked glass technique, it's so gorgeous with flower images!

Colors/color combo-- Lately I seem to pull out various shades of pink more than anything, I guess it's my daughter's influence on me! One of my all-time favorite color combos was one for SCS a while back - Brocade Blue, Bashful Blue & Real Red. In fact, I used it on one of my Wee Tees cards! (<---click that for another totally cute sample-eeek!)
Gina K set by Melanie-- This is a tough one because I love so many of them - of course I love Little Tees and Wee Tees! But I also really love Cuddles and Hugs, the animals in this set are so sweet. Truly, everytime Melanie comes out with a new set (Have a Cookie, A Year of Flowers, A Charmed Life!!) I just marvel at how incredibly clever and talented she is!! (and I swear she's not even paying me to say this!) :-)

Gina K sets (from any illustrator)-- Again, so hard to narrow down. I am so in love with the orchid image in Asela's Botanical Dreams set. And another of my all-time favorites is an older one from Gina - Whimsical Valentine! I adore the mice, and bugs are so cute, and I just LOVE that she included "You complete me" as a sentiment!!

Craft supplies I can’t live without— My Copics!! What did I do before these came along? I'm also a wee bit of a polka dot fanatic, I am nearly always drawn to polka dot DP or feel the need to add some Cuttlebug Swiss Dots. It's really a bit of an addiction, I probably need to seek professional help...

I've been stamping for (how long)— I started out a scrapbooker, but got invited to one of those in-home parties (I think you know which one I mean!!) and so began my obsession! I actually still have the order form from that first party!!

So I know the exact date it began - March 24, 2001!!

I get my inspiration from-- I'm also a challenge junkie, I love playing them!! Both the wonderful challenges on Splitcoast, and the various blog challenges. It definitely gets my creative juices flowing!

The most important things I’ve learned about stamping/cardmaking/scrapbooking are— There are so many talented stampers out there, and it can get a little discouraging at times when you look at how talented they are, and start to think you just don't compare. But, you have to keep it all in perspective. As long as you enjoy what you do, who cares if you'll never be a Debbie Olson or Amy Sheffer (two of my idols, btw) :-) I have a quote at the top of my blog that pretty much sums it up best... "Use what talent you posess: The world would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke


Some of my stamping/crafting goals are--. To get published in a magazine (but it would help immensely if I actually started SUBMITTING stuff!!!) and to be featured on some of my favorite blogs. I can check this one off the list, YAY!!!!


Some of my stamping/crafting accomplishments are— I've been lucky enough to be on two design teams.


Tell us a little about “Courtney’s Closet”! I started this challenge nearly a year ago, when my baby girl was three months old. I just kept looking at her clothes - baby clothes are THE CUTEST - and thinking "wow this would make such a cute card!!". So one day I went ahead and made a card inspired by her outfit, and invited others to play along. And much to my amazement, some wonderful ladies have played along! It's been so much fun this past year!! (and a little teaser - I think I'm going to have to throw a one year anniversary party for my challenge in a couple weeks - tune in for that!) :-)


Be sure to go check out Libby's blog today for more "Wee Tees" inspiration! Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Melanie, Libby did a great job with your stamps. Wise move on your part!

    Libby, you never cease to amaze me and I love your words you try to live by. I should read it every day, because I do get discouraged when I see all the awesome creations out there. But aren't we blessed to be able to learn from them.

    Have a great day, you two and thanks for the inspiration. Jimmye Sue-Texana Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choice of guest designer - Libby is a total stamping star! I love what she did with this set (can't wait for mine to get here - she says as she stalks the postman). ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just adorable! Libby made such an adorable card..I am going to have to try this sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so been loving Libby's creations with your WeeTees Mel! Always so fun and bright! She is rocking that set for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I adore Libby's card! what a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby's card is just wonderful! How cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)