Monday, March 29, 2010

Take the Scraps Challenge!

I love how today's sample with "By Your Side" turned out, and I have to share how it came together! My desk is not TOO terribly messy right now, having cleaned it completely just before our new release sets arrived (to make room!) and while it accumulated a lot of scraps and bits in that frenzy of designing for the previews, I was away for a week on vacation after that so it couldn't pile up as much it often does. I had this little vase of call lilies I'd colored and cut out lying there for before I left (often when I get my new sets I will stamp out a bunch of the images to color while I wait for inspiration on exactly what the concept or design will be for each) and decided I was ready to make a card with it.
I noticed I still have a piece of Ocean Mist already Cuttlebugged awhile back, and thought this color looks so calming with the lilies...those swirls look lovely with the flowers' shapes... so here was my mat! I also had a scrap of black and a bit of this ribbon I am already almost out of (because I love it so much!) but it wasn't long enough to tie, so I just made it a stripe and trimmed the ends. This was my very last card base of Pure Luxury White (but more arrived over the weekend, woo hoo!), already folded and waiting to be finished. I added my last aqua button and a greeting* from "A Beautiful Life" and the card is complete (plus a few adhesive rhinestones) All this stuff was out, no dipping into my stashes!

See what you can make with the stuff on your desk, I'd be interested to see! More than likely, if you've gone a couple card making sessions without reorganizing you have some great stuff in front of you that already coordinates. Add your creation to the linky below by pasting in your name and the post where you upload, link back to me in your description so people know about the challenge. It's on the honor system that you used scraps! (extra points for using GKD stamps, wink) I'll have a little prize for the winner, and will leave it open til Friday and post a winner over the weekend! (But for SOME of you, I know this will be a very difficult, perhaps impossible task, because you always clean up as you go... (you make me a little sick! jk! LOL!) but, I know you will manage, because you save all your scraps of paper and they are all neatly filed away in their proper color file, blah blah blah... :) since you have a few days to enter let things go for a bit and see how it feels! (kind of liberating!)

* "Hello beautiful" reminds me of some wonderful old black and white classic film; can't you just hear the leading man saying "hel-LO beautiful!"? ;)


19 comments:

  1. LOL I love it!! And yes I keep a pretty clean area... unless I'm in the middle of a frenzy. But I do have my scraps still and uhhh yeah.. so... they ARE organized... whatcha gonna do about it? LOL

    I'll take you up on this little challenge!!

    Your card is beautiful! Love the colors! Even if it came from a mess! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, Melanie. This challenge won't be a problem for me. I'd love to say that I am organized (and I am to a point) but there are always lots of scraps on my desk that I just don;t put away until I can't stand it anymore. LOL! I think this is a definite doable challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Melanie! You wouldn't want to see my desk/dining room I'm afraid... I only stop stamping & clean when there are no bare spaces on which to stamp any longer - lol! Sad but true...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun challenge! I keep such a cluttered desk, I had bunches to choose from!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great! I have no scraps today, I cleaned up before I started blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, thanks for the fun challenge! I got right on it! I always have a mess! I clean it up and it's only good till my next card!! LOL I use to be a neat freak!! What happened???

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea, it leaves less to clean up when we are done. You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, your card is beautiful. I happen to have a little pile of this and that on the desk right now. I think I will give your challenge a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do have bits of colored images and scraps of different DP in a basked that is getting quite full! Got one made and will try to make another. Great idea Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, your card is gorgeous! I love it! Thanks so much for the fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First your card is beautiful! Love the embossing! This was a fun challenge! I discovered some scraps of well loved paper I forgot about! I really should make one card a week with just scraps! Thanks for a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could probably whip up a dozen cards with all the scraps on my desk! That's not even counting the two bins of scraps, organized by color- on my adjacent work table!!!
    Fun challenge, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great challenge Melanie and right up my alley! I still have scraps on my table from 3 weeks ago, I guess that would qualify as a messy stamper, LOL! Yep, I am a messy one. I seem to create better that way *until* I lose stuff then it is time to straighten my mess up. Love your card Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love using up my scraps--that's how I clean up my desk. Unfortuantely I can't keep up with all my scraps. Thanks for the great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is Gorgous Melanie! This was alot of fun, thanks for posting the challenge. My desk never seems to stay organized!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply graceful! I am a BIG fan of aqua...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful inspiration!! However I keep all kinds of scraps that truly should be trashed immediately...so that is my challenge for this card..ones that are nearing the landfill.
    Thanks for the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all your cards and projects. Had to take you up on this fun cahallenge as I always have a messy desk and always have a basket on my desk for scraps of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made my card and I forgot to post it yesterday, I hope it's Ok to post it today.
    God bless.
    Giovana

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)