Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Shirt (or Dress) off Your Back

What do you think of this new DP? Well, it's not paper, or at least didn't start out that way, let me show you how easy.... So I was thumbing through the new issue of Family Fun and saw the most clever and adorable gift idea for making a shirt to match a patterned pair of little girls pants: SCAN the child's patterned pants, print out the pattern on transfer paper and apply to solid colored shirt, they showed die cutting a little flower of the print and sticking it on the middle of a little tee! too cool!* Well, I'm not going to be doing any transferring/clothesmaking anytime soon, BUT this made me realize I don't just have to recreate my favorite print by stamping out in images in different colors, I can make my own DP with my patterned clothes!!



This is a sundress I got a couple weeks ago at, you will never believe, HEB (the grocery store) for 10 bucks! I just thought these colors and print were so pretty I took a risk that it might be really poorly made! (and am happy to report it's holding up very nicely LOL!) Anyway, when the scanning possibilities clicked, this was first thing I grabbed. Here it is tucked inside the scanner LOL!
The top pic is how it scanned full size, smooth it out if wrinkles bothers you or capture the texture of those beautiful folds! (It's going to look like I even stitched on my card!! hee hee!!) You could print out the full sheet as is or do what I did by reducing it down to 4x 5 1/2 and copying and pasting that three more times so I can have 4 backgrounds for my A2 cards!





Do you love it?? I LOVE IT!!!! :) Back soon to share my cards using it!
Soooooo, what's in YOUR closet?? ;)



BTW, did I mention how yummy this color combos is? (i know I did) The colors are ivory, chocolate, sand, cranberry, aqua and pink. I kwow that's a lot going on but it totally works, or pull jull 3-4 of them! Try it, you'll like it! (You can bet I am going to have to try stamping up my own background in those colors! ;)




*I had seen people transferring a napkin print with an iron or gluing a napkin or piece of farbic to a card, but NEVER thought to just scan the actual fabric and make paper! Why didn't I think of that?? Anyway, this is new to me, hope it inspires! :)

18 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how clever are you!!!! That dress is super cute! I can't wait to see your card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO awesome!!! Can't wait to see your cards!!
    I don't own a lot of patterned clothes as I'm usually a solid colour kinda girl but you can bet I'll be raiding my sons checked shirts and plaid shorts etc etc etc!!!!!
    Thanks for the inspiration, can't wait to see your cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is sooooooooo flippin Cool!!!! I am DEFINITELY going to try that! OMGosh.. how smart of you! Can't wait to see your card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel this is a GREAT idea!!! Very creative. Love it too. I can't wait to see your cards. I think you're on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stinkin' cute!!! I must admit, I've bought a dress just because it reminded me of super cute DP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Clever! What type of printer do you use that is comes out so great? I am getting ready to get a new printer so I am looking for ideas. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute and what a terrific idea - can't wait to see the card. Heading down to my closet.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so clever! What a pretty pattern! I want some of that custom dp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO very clever Melanie! I have to try this. I enjoy reading your blog so very much...thanks for all the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this very clever idea and I really like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's brilliant! I am going to buy new ink for my printer (because they're empty) and definitely try this one. Thanx for sharing. :)

    Hugs, Debbie Meijer

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did this with a piece of gorgeous Christmas fabric to use as background. It came out great. Nobody could figure out how I did it. They thought I bought the cards with that background. It did use alot of ink but people are still talking about those cards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome!!! I wish I had a scanner to try this. I can't wait to see what you make with the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't own a scanner, but what a fabulous idea! I love this pattern and color combo, can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy Guacamole! What a light bulb type idea. Way to go Mel! Wow!! I know the future cards will be dynamic with this background. Can't wait to see and try a new idea! Gosh, to have a thinker like yours...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful...just had to come back and say...I did it and thank you so much! I have a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements and I did some really cool stuff from a hand painted top I bought in the Caribbean 7-8 years ago. Wowee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. no waaaaaay! will have to try this with printer at work LOL
    cant wait to see your card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is AMAZING just Simply AMAZING!! Now I must enter into the great unknown of all those clothing I have packed away from the 80's!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)