Monday, August 2, 2010

Blast from the Past Day 2

Welcome back to our Gina K Designs Blast from the Past Hop, we're on day 2! First illustrator we are featuring today is Theresa Momber, so I made a mad dash for "Autumn Beauty"!
Sometimes a single image is all you need for inspiration, and all your card needs if it's the right one, I even left it greetingless! I framed the sunflower with two pendant dies cuts in Wild Dandelion layered on top of each other to echo her beautiful flower I'd colored with Copics. The Grass Green layer is stencilled with the Impressabilities Flourish, sponging olive ink over it before removing. Layered finally on Pure Luxury Chocolate Brown and White, and embellished with some gingham, punched wave flourishes, button and adhesive nail heads, I'm in autumn heaven!! I think I may have to send this card (measures 5 1/2"x 7") to a really beautiful illustrator I know...! ;)

Our next featured illustrator is Rupa Shevde. Last year she released the adorable "Back to School" which I knew would be perfect for making a card for my son William, who starts (gulp!) kindergarten in a few weeks! Here he is graduating from preschool, just a couple months ago...(sniff!)He is excited but some days has seemed a little apprehensive. Letting him pick out a new backpack, however, seemed to make any worry go away, so I thought I'd try to recreate the one he chose for his card!After stamping the backpack image onto Pure Luxury White, I wanted to paper piece the pockets to match, so I stamped it again onto the cover of a Star Wars LEGO kit directions pamphlet he had, carefully placing the inked portions I wanted to be on the pockets over the LEGO logo and storm trooper faces. I glued the pieces on after cutting them out and finished coloring the image with Copics. This super cute DP from the October Afternoon "Report Card" pack is so similar to all the worksheets he's been doing in Preschool, I knew he'd associate it with school immediately, more than a boyish print! I stamped the little shooting star in red at the top and layered it onto Pure Luxury Red Hot and Black Onyx.
I used R46 Strong Red and R59 Cardinal to color the straps and trim, and C5, C7 and 100 Black for the pack. Instead of adding bling, I just circled the correct answers on the paper with a pencil to make it a little more personal. He loves this card! (Yes, he's already seen it, came in when I was working on it and stole it as soon as I was done taking the photo LOL! I'll have to steal it back so I can write something before the first day, he is very proud of how well he can read many words by sight or sounding them out)


For even more samples of some of our favorite 'Blast from the Past' Gina K Designs stamp sets, check out these participating designer's blogs:

The entire GinaK Designs team would like to invite you to the virtual Release party we'll be having this Thursday, August 5th on StampTV. It will be a bit different than our usual release party, but we'll still have challenges, contest questions, and designer samples that you won't want to miss out on! More information on that event will be shared by GinaK soon, so stay tuned to her blog for all the details this week.

Thanks for dropping in!! Found any new sets you want set? And who will we feature tomorrow??? See you soon!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards! Love the little backpack you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's such a cool and thoughtful idea for a personalized card for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunflower card & cute back to school card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my fav sets that I have by Theresa and your sample is gorgeous. I love your son's card. You are so talented Melanie and I appreciate being able to see your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved that sunflower and the way you put that together is wonderful. Ummm I think I am going to CASE your back to school card! - I LOVE it and with 13 grandchildren I make a LOT of back to school cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your coloring on the sunflower and every detail of the card are perfect! It is absolutely stunning!!! Your backpack card is so cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh my is that just utter cuteness with that backpack!!! And the medallion layer under the sunflower is gorgeous! Tell me he is not starting Kindergarten!!?? Whoa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh he is growing up! And love that card, that backpack ROCKS! LOVE the stenciling on the first one, that looks gorgeous for the bg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these are gorgeous cards!!!! I love working with Autumn Beauty, that back pack is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, speechless about this creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous daisy card! I love the metallic rub on paste and your photostaging with the natural light. Look at him! He looks so cute - love that picture and what a COOL backpack he chose! tell him hi for me (if he even remembers me, it's been so long...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cards are just adorable as is the young man! So cute. I love the fleur-de-lis cut you did on the dandelion card and the colors are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both of your cards, Melanie! The colors are so rich and vibrant on each of them - especially the sunflower! Great backpack too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the backpack! my grandson loves, loves, loves star wars. this would be great for him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After looking at your card and the one that Miesje made, I decided that I had to try making one for my grandson. Isaiah has very mild autism so changes are a bit more difficult for him to adjust to. I wanted to do something really special for him.

    Here is the link to my card:

    http://scrap-happychick.blogspot.com/2010/08/back-to-school-card.html

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)