Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Inspiration Hop, Day 2: "Birthday Bash" and "Dreams"

Welcome back to our second day of the May Inspiration Hop with Gina K Designs, I hope you all had a safe and excellent holiday! The first set we have is Rupa Shevde's " Birthday Bash". This blushing bunny with a belated gift behind its back is so "me"! I paper pieced the package to match my mat and used a long length of curled grosgrain ribbon on the side to suggest some very last minute wrapping, most any time I give a gift I wrapped it 90 seconds before I gave it to you and the evidence of that is nearby, hee hee!
Cardstock is Pure Luxury White, Turquoise Sea, Red Hot, and DP is DCWV Citrus. this photo shows the layers I did to build up the dimension. The line art uncolored one is what it die cut with the rectangle. the package, which I added a little red Copic to the ribbon and some gray for a shadow outside the bunny outline, gets glued on next, and finally the front of the bunny is popped up over that.
Next up, we have "Dreams" by Tami Mayberry. I started by inking u the oval frame with Lilac Posies and Grape Jelly Memento markers for a two toned effect. After adding the sentiment and extra butterflies, I die cut it with a Classic Oval and matted it over a Beaded Oval. If you are wondering why it's offset like that, the die slipped when I was cutting and I cut off the right side of the beaded border, oops! I'm telling you, I don't like to redo anything! Make it work! ;)
I could have used some larger butterfly stamps for a background but I wanted them to be dimensional so I decided to go through my die and see what I could make since I don't have any butterfly dies. Looked like this little medallion from a Nestabilities Renaissance Hearts Pendant set ought to do the trick!
I snipped it into quarters, using the top two pieces for the top wings and then snipped one quarter in half to make the bottom wings. The last section I used to embellish a corner. Be sure to round off the sides with your scissors, just following the curve toward the end to make a smooth side. ( I decided not to use that purple one after all..for another project maybe!) :)
I put a strip of three adhesive pearls over the sections to join them in front and then added a strip of Scor-Tape to reinforce it as well as attach it.
I sponged pink and lavender inks onto my mat and then stamped a few tiny butterflies in lavender to the corner. The trail is hand dotted with a black gel pen.
Cardstock is Pure Luxury White, Black Onyx and Lovely Lavender.

Hope these projects inspired! Please enjoy hopping with the rest of our fabulous design team and I hope to see you back here tomorrow!


  • Gina K

  • Giovana Smith

  • Janice Whiting

  • Jennie Harper

  • Jimmi Mayo

  • Lee Murphy

  • Melanie Muenchinger (you are here, thanks for visiting!)

  • Michelle Woerner

  • Sharon Harnist

  • Suzanne Dean

  • Tami Mayberry

  • Theresa Momber

  • Tina Gilliland


  • Vicki Dutcher

  • Carolina Buchting

  • Cathy Tidwell

  • Deb Felts

  • Donna Baker
  • 103 comments:

    1. Very cute! I love how you made that amazing butterfly and the fact that you just make things work for you, despite boo-boos!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh my WOW Mel!!! That bunny is just too cute and the elegance and creativity on the Dreams card is spectacular!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Melanie, your bunny card is so sweet.

      ReplyDelete
    4. omg...LOVE your butterfly you made!! And your bunny, wow!! Love the paper piecing of the package (say that fast 5 times, haha!) and your ribbon treatment rocks!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Beautiful, Melanie! The bunny card made me smile, and OMG, that butterfly card is just too gorgeous! Hugs...

      ReplyDelete
    6. BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!! LOVE the butterfly!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Beautiful cards, Melanie! Love the butterfly idea. I never think of those things. I really need to learn to think out of my box! LOL.

      ReplyDelete
    8. great idea for the butterfly ... thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh my, love that butterfly!! Can't wait to go and try that.And of course, love your cards.
      Debbie D.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Amazed...as I always am when I visit your blog! These are fabulous!

      ReplyDelete
    11. The bunny is sweet and the butterfly is beautiful.

      ReplyDelete
    12. SUPERB cards, wonderful coloring on both cards, and terrific idea with the butterfl, that is awesome, you be so creative!!!

      THaNKS

      Donna Przy....

      ReplyDelete
    13. Wonderful work! Thanks for the tutorial!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Love the butterfly. I'm going to try that today!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Love the ribbon treatment on the first card. How brilliant of you to make a butterfly with the medallion die! TFS!

      ReplyDelete
    16. LOVE your tutorial...and that bunny and gift are TOO cute!!! And the other is too gorgeous!!! NICE job!

      ReplyDelete
    17. That rabbit steals the show!!

      ReplyDelete
    18. The butterfly is so great, and the cute bunny just makes you want to hug him/her....

      ReplyDelete
    19. You are just so clever..I love the birthday package..and the way you used the spellbinder die for the butterfly is so awesome. Thnx for sharing. Hugz, Dottie

      ReplyDelete
    20. What a beautiful cards and I love love love the butterfly you made. I have that die and never would have thought to do that - I can't "see" those other way to use things, but I'm so glad that you are willing to share. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Your cards are amazing. Love how you did the ribbon on the first one. I have tried this but never seems to work for me :(

      ReplyDelete
    22. Love the paper piecing and festive colors on the first--so fun! And the 2nd is so elegant, love those beautiful butterflies!

      hugz,
      Suzanne

      ReplyDelete
    23. Mel. OMG. O.M.G. You are brilliant! I want to see what present the bunny has in that box. And the butterflies!?! Swoon! I'll be looking at my dies from a whole new perspective. Thanks for sharing your inspiration! ♥ky

      ReplyDelete
    24. I find it so inspirational to see twists on using tools and materials! Fantastic!

      ReplyDelete
    25. Really cool idea on the butterfly, takes someone creative to think of that. Great job.

      ReplyDelete
    26. You are so creative Mel! Love your creations!!

      ReplyDelete
    27. Beautiful butterflies and colors.

      ReplyDelete
    28. Both cards are wonderful. So creative. Love how you did the butterfly and your bunny card - coloring is fab.

      ReplyDelete
    29. love the butterflies. what a great concept....use something else to make what you want.

      ReplyDelete
    30. Such beautiful cards - Thanks so much for sharing Melanie! Love Gina K's blog hops - so inspirational! Have a great day!

      ReplyDelete
    31. How creative and thank you sooooo much for the tutorials! Will def be casing you! TFS!

      ReplyDelete
    32. Great cards Melanie. That butterfly is so creative. By the way, I saw your card in Card Markers magazine, congrats.

      ReplyDelete
    33. What an innovative idea for the butterfly!!! Love, love, love it!!!
      And that bunny is so darn adorable....who could be mad for being late when they get a card like that!!!
      Thanks for your inspiration!
      Pam

      ReplyDelete
    34. Adorable..Love how you created that butterfly.

      ReplyDelete
    35. Love the cards...especially the bunny...so very cute!!...thanks for sharing!!

      ReplyDelete
    36. Melanie, Your cleverness and creativity continue to surprise and delight us all. That butterfly is CLEVER! Beautiful work on both cards and thank you for the inspiration. I am off to make butterflies! Blessings.

      ReplyDelete
    37. Your bunny coloring and card is amazing, Mel! And what a clever idea for your butterfly!

      ReplyDelete
    38. Fabulous cards! I really like how you make the butterfly--I think I have that die.

      ReplyDelete
    39. I have not seen anything you make that i don't want to copy!

      ReplyDelete
    40. Beautiful cards, Melanie. The bunny is so cute. That dream card is exquisite! Thanks for inspiring us to figure out how to make those mistakes work!

      ReplyDelete
    41. I love your cards. I can't believe how beautiful the butterfly is. Thanks you for showing us how to do it. Beautiful!

      ReplyDelete
    42. I love your Bunny card so sweet & your butterfly card is amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    43. The bunny is so cute and what clever ways to rescue a mistake

      ReplyDelete
    44. Where to begin...your cards are absolutely wonderful. I love the paper piecing for the gift with the bunny leaning against it and also how you've curled that pretty red ribbon around the focal image and your "Dreams" card is so amazing. Love what you did to create the butterfly, amazing and oh so inspirational.

      ReplyDelete
    45. Your making butterflies out of the die cut is brilliant! And I love the directions for making the bunny card (and the story that goes with it).

      ReplyDelete
    46. The bunny card is bright and adorable, and I can hardly find words for the butterfly card. Just a big WOW !!!

      ReplyDelete
    47. Melanie two cute cards! But I so appreciate the butterfly! Thanks for sharing how to make it!!!

      ReplyDelete
    48. Thank you for all the ideas and your cards are always just beautiful. Keep up the good work.

      ReplyDelete
    49. Hi Melanie! Love the first card - such lovely bright colours!! And the butterfly is adorable - now I need to search through my dies and try this. Super cool idea!!

      ReplyDelete
    50. Your creations brought a smile to my face--thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    51. Melanie your designs take my breath away! You are my kind of crafter! I like the way you make things work.

      ReplyDelete
    52. Awesome cards Melanie! Your first card is beautifully colored and pieced, and the ribbon is perfect! Love that butterfly you've created for your second card. I have that die and will try that - thanks so much!

      ReplyDelete
    53. Such wonderful card ideas! Thanks for sharing.

      Carol B
      ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

      ReplyDelete
    54. What an adorable bunny card! The second card is lovely and I love it that you make mistakes, too! I've had to cover up a lot of those and "make it work!"

      ReplyDelete
    55. Wonderful butterfly made out of the
      nestie die. So cool! Love both cards.

      ReplyDelete
    56. Love both cards. The bunny card is darling and the other card is so clever and inspirational.

      ReplyDelete
    57. You are just TOO creative!!!! Always love visiting your site.

      ReplyDelete
    58. The bunny is so so cute! Love the second card. I wouldn't have known it was an accident if I didn't read it. TFS

      ReplyDelete
    59. Awesome! I love the tutorial on how you created that butterfly using the nestie die Melanie - thanks! Your cards are lovely, I like the paper pieced present.

      ReplyDelete
    60. Melanie, your bunny card is 2 cute! He looks like he had his fill of birthday cake! :)

      ReplyDelete
    61. WOWSERS on both cards. That bunny and ribbon is adorable.

      ReplyDelete
    62. You are awesome Melanie. The bunny is just way to cute and very elegant for the dreams. Learned something new on both of your cards. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    63. Oh my gosh! I just love the little bunny card, I would have never thought to make this, thank you so much for sharing it with us.

      ReplyDelete
    64. Your bunny image is too adorable - thanks for sharing how you did the layering.

      ReplyDelete
    65. Great cards! The bunny card is so sweet! And the butterfly card is so neat.

      ReplyDelete
    66. love the shading and coloring on the bunny!! The secons is beautiful and creative!!

      ReplyDelete
    67. I always love to see what you come up with--very clever and amazing butterfly

      ReplyDelete
    68. Cute, cute card! Love the idea for the die cut butterfly, you clever lady!!

      ReplyDelete
    69. I love, love, love your cards! Just great ideas!

      ReplyDelete
    70. What inspiration you are! That bunny with the package is too cute, and the butterflies on the second are amazing! Quite a compliment to the great stamp set!

      ReplyDelete
    71. The piece card is so cool and I love how you recreate designs from other things. That is so amazing. What an inspiration you are.

      ReplyDelete
    72. Outstanding cards, Melanie! The butterfly is just beautiful and so 3D using that Nestie.
      Your bunny card is adorable too!

      ReplyDelete
    73. Loved the cards. Oh which one do I like more. Love the idea for the butterfly. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    74. Melanie -- your cards are wonderful! I love the cheerful Belated Birthday card and the butterfly card with the violet background is stunning!

      ReplyDelete
    75. Smiled at your description of your gift giving, but was blessed by the beauty in the second card.
      Thank you
      Blessings
      Maxine

      ReplyDelete
    76. Amazing. Wonderful. Fabulous and I could go on and on. You just have soooooo much talent.

      Becky T

      ReplyDelete
    77. WOW!!!!! LOVE how you did the bunny card and the butterfly you created is AWESOME!!! Really like how you colored that stamp as well!

      ReplyDelete
    78. Wow! The bunny card is just too darned cute! And your second card is just stunning!

      ReplyDelete
    79. Oh I love your butterfly card. Beautiful. Hugs, Teresa E.

      ReplyDelete
    80. Love the ribbon treatment and that paper pieced present, too cute. Pure elegance and style on the second one.

      ReplyDelete
    81. Your coloring and inking are beautiful! Great colors on these cards - I esp. like the touch of the grosgrain on the first card. TFS!

      ReplyDelete
    82. Can it get any better than butterflies....So many wonderful uses for the Dream set!

      ReplyDelete
    83. Eeks, so stinkin' sweet Melanie! Love how you did the bunny and fab design and you knocked it out of the park with the Dreams design. How creative with the dies...got to try that!

      ReplyDelete
    84. Ingenious butterfly! That bunny is adorable.

      ReplyDelete
    85. LOVE that second card! I love the sponged background, your butterflies, etc.!!!

      ReplyDelete
    86. Amazing Melanie!!! I love your cards and the butterfly is pure genius!

      ReplyDelete
    87. What a fabulous way to make a butterfly.

      ReplyDelete
    88. Wonderful butterfly! But oh I love that bright cheery bunny card you did. Just eye popping! Patti

      ReplyDelete
    89. Perfect! Love the butterflies especially! TFS!

      Kris in Alaska
      funamom at yahoo dot com

      ReplyDelete
    90. Love that creative butterfly! Super cards.
      Marcie

      ReplyDelete
    91. what a fantastic technique using the spellbinder, and your coloring is excellent

      ReplyDelete
    92. Stunning, Just Stunning Creations! Love how colorful they are--thanks so much for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    93. Ahhhh...love the way you colored the bunny and the paper pieced present is just perfection! Love the butterfly on your second card - goes beautifully with the sentiment!

      ReplyDelete
    94. They are both awesome
      Trish
      krazykcrafters at msn dot com

      ReplyDelete
    95. OMG Mel, I love how you worked out to get that butterfly look. I will definitely try this out!TFS!

      ReplyDelete
    96. These are awesome -love that bunny card and I love how you made a mistake work for you! You are amazing!

      ReplyDelete

    Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)