Thursday, May 5, 2011

Plaid from Texture

Good morning! Today I have a masculine card I made with "A Year of Borders" and "Follow Your Dreams", with the new "Timeless Textures" stamps from Gina K Designs working overtime as a plaid background, let me show you how easy!
I was so glad Gina provided some of the textures in large blocks for kissing or long strips like this one for making borders and patterns, here is the first step creating a checkerboard pattern of brown stripes, a grid line block makes getting the stripes parallel and perpendicular to each other easy, just line it up and go! I always start in the middle and work my way out to either side so the pattern will be centered.


Now clean your stamp and go back in between the brown rows with green, looks just like real plaid right?


I'm excited to make these backgrounds in different colors, and how perfect for Father's Day coming up! Here is the card again, my favorite detail is the skinny strip of Green Apple CS I tied through the corner, just poke 4 little holed with your piercing tool, thread through and tie!
Card uses Forest Branches Cuttlebug Folder and In the Navy, White, Kraft, Chocolate Brown and Green Apple Pure Luxury Cardstocks. This sketch is a bit outside my comfort zone, but doing the shell border (which I stamped in brown and accented with just a few earthy Copics to match my papers) straight across or vertical was looking a little ho hum to me, so I snipped it in half to change it up. (Not sure if I LOVE it, but definitely more interesting than what I had!)

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. I love this card, so glad I just ordered the Timelless Textures stamp earlier this week! Now I can not wait to get it so that I too can make this wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! Love the layout a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the long border stamp for the plaid? What a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic use of that set!! Beautiful plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card! I love how you combined all the sets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! I never thought of making a plaid, but after seeing yours, I'll definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel,What a great card.Thanx for the tutorial too.Dosen't look too hard. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this card. I love how you made the plaid background.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)