Friday, November 12, 2010

STV Color Spotlight #1


How's this to brighten up your day?! Gina throws down a color combo on StampTV that's sizzling hot AND super cool!

I used my new "A Year of Borders" set, the butterfly border being the best fit for today's combo. It's such a happy stamp! I did a spotlighting technique here with my circle punches, so get ready for a little mini tutorial! Stamp the border once on your mat. Now stamp it again on a separate piece of cardstock and punch out random areas with two different sized circle punches (3/4" and 1"). You will line these up over the first border like you do when paper piecing. I also punched out some slightly larger circles (1" and 1 1/4") in the Red Hot and Turquoise Sea to mat the stamped circles. The red string is embroidery floss.

I left the back border uncolored and then colored in the punched images with the red and turquoise Copics. I staggered the color of the mats behind them and then colored them in with the opposite color, so one with a red mat had a turquoise butterfly and vice versa. Some have more than one image in them so I used both colors. Isn't that a fun look? The up and down placement of the circles gives the border and card a lot of movement.

The tiny red butterflies that are popped up, I just inked up one little butterfly from the border and stamped it twice onto a little scrap of Red Hot cardstock, trimmed them out with my Cutterbee scissors bent the middle and attached them with pop dots. I love how tiny these are! :) I added a fine dotted trail behind each with a black pen. Greeting is from "Labelled with Love".


Please go check out Gina's video on StampTV where she creates a card from start to finish using this color spotlight and take her challenge, you could win some free stamps!


Have a fabulous weekend!

15 comments:

  1. This is lovely and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the spotlighting with the border...you are right about the movement! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I LOVE this card!! It's so fun - I really love the effect of the coloured punched circles & the spotlighting technique! I have to try this. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, Melanie! Love the spotlighting on the butterfly border! Very creative and eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, Gorgeous card! I love the spotlighting of those beautiful butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning! Love the border and the spotlighting is so perfect for those butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your card is so pretty Melanie! I love that you did a "true" spotlight card. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this design, beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This stamp set is so versatile. I just can't wait for it to arrive. I just love everything I have seen with it. This card is wonderful. I like how you only highlighted with color the portions in the circle. It's like looking through binoculars. So cool.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're brilliant - absolutely brilliant!!!! I love this look!! and appreciate the mini tutorial. Beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing, Hugs, Sharon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...optical illusion almost. I may not have noticed the uncolored parts of your butterfly boarder if you hadn't said some thing. Those red and turquoise rings really just grab the eyes when looking at the card. That's a WOW card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this card is so awesome, I want to CASE it and keep it for myself - ha!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)