Friday, April 5, 2013

Broken Wing


What a week! Well, I turned 40 today, cough, but have barely had a chance to plan anything fun or prepare for this milestone or reflect on years past because my younger son William fractured his elbow Tuesday night, poor sweet child!  First time we've been to the outstanding Dell Children's Hospital , ever, never needed an x-ray for either boy before this.  Ever.  I'll have to stop bragging now that my husband's fine, strong German stock has given my rough and tumble boys unbreakable bones (as well as the Lord's protection of course).  To add to the drama, unbelievably, someone rear-ended William and I when we were on our way to the hospital for x-rays!  William blurted out, "Did someone just HIT us?? I'm going to have bad dreams tonight for sure!" :(  (The first time I have been involved in an accident in more than 6 years, the last being when both boys were in the car with me and someone ran a red light and broadsided us in the intersection.)  Anyway, there have been many tears shed, but I think we are turning a corner with the pain being managed pretty well now by meds, and today we go to get the permanent long arm cast from the orthopedic pediatrician to replace the splint from the ER.  Happy birthday to me!!!  This photo is of him just after they wrapped it, passed out at 11 PM, waiting to be discharged.  We are really hoping for waterproof glow in the dark something super cool for his cast, or at least William's  "light blue" request.  He got to convalesce with me at home Wednesday and stressed about returning to school Thursday, but, of course, his friends gave him tons of love and attention are clamoring to see the new cast and sign it.

Homey update: after almost two weeks of corticosteroids and a new found appetite, he really has a new lease on life!  He’s always in the same room I’m in now, and he came outside on Saturday with us in the backyard and hunted in the bushes and ate a lizard.

 He got in my lap on his own the other day.  He lays on the kitchen floor when I cook dinner and next to the dining table while we have dinner. I'm taking pictures of everything, kind of like a brand new baby with all the first (that seem like "firsts" since it s has been months since he's been doing all these things we've been taking for granted).

 The last couple nights he wanted to spend the night outside and seemed confident and decided on going out, perhaps he's visiting his old friends!  Some bad manners, though, thinks he knows he’s going to get some slack, with his sudden interest in food and burst of energy, he got up on the dining table and was eating at our drumstick bones when we were listening to Jonathan play keyboard.  We’d already finished, just hadn’t cleared the dishes yet.  Same thing with when I had a friend over for lunch Tuesday, who happened to be allergic to cats, he kept jumping in her lap to try to nibble off her plate. Ack!  (And sounded so pathetic when I closed him up in the office after doing so to keep him away from her, so of course I had to let him our again.  My friend was such a good sport!)  So that has been a nice gift all week long, getting my little shadow back :)



20 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your son. He looks like an angel sleeping but I am sure he is a tough little man. Glad to hear Kitty Is improving. they also become part of the family. Have a good weekend. Love to family .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Melanie! Sorry you've had such a difficult week leading up to your big day. Maybe it was all to keep you from dwelling on the big 40, which I'd be happy to go back to at this point! :) Seeing the picture of Will brought tears to my eyes. What a sweetie. I hope he is feeling better and heals quickly. Glad your kitty is feeling better, too! Have a great weekend and a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Melanie! Way to rise to all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your son's accident. Thank goodness you have good quality care for him and now that the crisis has past, try to get a little celebration in for your birthday. I wish you some rest if nothing else, so that you can recupe from all the stress. Such is the role of being a MOM...we have to deal with what life hands us no matter what. He sure is a precious little man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to you and a speedy recovery for your little man .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, poor sweet William! Wishing him a quick recovery! Glad Homey is feeling better - he looks just like Auggie (cat hubby and I had). HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELANIE!!! Have a wonderful, relaxing day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Happy 40th! The life of a Mama! :) Your poor little baby boy, he is super cute though, even when "fractured". Hope everyone is healing well! To better days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! You won't forget this milestone birthday. Sorry about William's accident. I broke my elbow when I was 10 (a really long time ago) but I remember how painful it was. Hope he's feeling better soon. Glad your kitty is feeling better. Hope you get to do something really special to celebrate your milestone birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Melanie!! What a way to remember this milestone. So glad you weren't hurt in the accident and so very sorry for William. Hopefully the fancy cast will help and all the love and concern from his friends will ease the pain of having to be burdened with the cast. Seems like sometimes everything just hits at one time. Hope this coming weekend everyone can get some rest and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Not a good week for you at all! I'm glad Homey's getting some spunk back, and I would be inclined to cut him some slack. Prayers for all of you as you deal with life's stress.
    <3 ~ky

    ReplyDelete
  11. HB, Mel... you don't want to hear me sing. As for the arm, so sorry you have to go through that, but I can tell you one thing, those long arm cast are great for stopping thumb sucking. Dee broke her growth plate in her elbow when she was 4. Please hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you sure have had a week, haven't you? First off, Happy Birthday...what a great milestone. I loved when I turned 40...I'm going to be 50 next month...so that's a big one for sure. I'm so sorry your little boy had his wing clipped. How scary to be in a car accident on your way to the hospital...ugh! I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. I'm also really glad to read about your baby kitty...except for the lizard eating part...yuck! When you mentioned what he was going through, I thought I would be reading sad news, but am very happy that he's bouncing back. My little Molly has taken to jumping on the table lately, so I know how you feel. I just pray she doesn't do it when we have company. Take care...hope your week gets better and better and you get a chance to celebrate your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for your son's injury, Glad Homey is better and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor little darling! Busted arms are NO fun. I do hope he got the cool cast he wanted.

    Happy 40th, Momma! Welcome to the Big Girls' Club. ;) A dear friend told me that a year ago. This club IS very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a week, Melanie! You know, things like this happen in threes, so I think you're done! Your son looks so angelic and I am sure he will be up and around quickly! My daughter broke her leg on the swing set when she was four, and within a few days she was so active again. Gosh that was a 36 year old memory! She turns 40 this year! Keeping you all in my thoughts. Love the cat picture too. We have two Abyssinians, and baby them-haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for your horrid week! Happy Birthday to you and hope things start easing up for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday! What a week...glad all will be ok
    Have a beautiful weekend (-:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hugs to sweet William! Alyssa had a light blue cast, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. awww! what a pathetic picture...hope W is feeling better. Crazy thing about 40---my husband broke his ankle the morning of his 40th. crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad Homey is better. Too bad I am allergic or I'd come over and give him a big hug :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)