Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kindred Color Blocking

When I first saw this adorable Kindred Spirit "Little Guy at Play"*, I thought it would be terrific to use on a card with color blocking and stacked up punched squares to make a border!


Because of the solid blocks in the image, I decided to skip any DP, which allowed me to use any and as many colors as I wanted rather than having to pick a paper that would match. I kept it bold, usin my Koh-i-noor pencils, and coloring eveything a little more solidly, rather than doing much blending. I loved that I had at least two shades of each color in the pack for a dark and light side of each of my blocks in the tower, click on the pic for a closeup. I used my Skin Flesh Copic on the boy and my Pale Aqua Copic to make the shadow. Image and greetings were stamped with Palette Noir.

I added a few large white brads and the square a the bottom to balance out my white focal point. I love how the black makes all the colors pop! I used my favorite Real Red CS, but instead of putting it with other Bold Brights (which can sometimes be a bit TOO bright for me), I used textured DCVW paper for the green, blue and yellow 1 /14 inch punched squares. Several, but not all, are popped up on dimensionals. The sentiments are all from Kindred Greetings for Kids, with the exception of "you rock!" which is from my "Jumping for Joy" set, I thought putting this one on the "falling" tilted block would add more whimsy to the project.

I made this card for my William, just because. We'll see how long it lasts in his 3 year old boy hands, or if I decide to just let him look at it and then put it up on the shelf for another year! ;)

CONTEST UPDATE: I have extended the deadline! Please get your entries uploaded by Tuesday, July 8th, 10PM CST! Drawing will be on Wednesday!



* I don't think Gina K could have chosen anything more appropriate for a "little guy at play" than building a tower! Several of the very few scrapbook pages I've completed consist of punched squares in bright colors; add some brads and eyelets, and it's just so easy to put together a block or Lego layout that way!

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh..I love this image too! And love how you incorporated the block of paper! Perfect, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great! love the color 'blocks' I see you have the coveted big white Jessie brads now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Germany to the United States. Melanie, I just love your blog an learn so much from you. And for saying Thank you!, I nominated you for an award. Just watch it on my blog, you won and I wrote it down in english of course. I hope, my translation is correct. :)

    Have a nice day, Tina (aka Basteltinchen)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooooo adorable!!! The color blocking is absolutely perfect!!! Brings back vivid memories of my kiddos playing with blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card! I really like the different fonts together. It makes it even more kid-like!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)