Monday, February 9, 2009

Courting Owls

When you stamp out the owl from "Framed Friends" twice you can trim out just the owl on its perch and place the branch ends together to extend the limb. I colored the image with Copics and added a little hand-drawn stem for the popped up flower. I love the expression they have, like an old married couple, I think of the joke about how people start to look alike LOL! I "broke tradition" and just used two colors that were a nice compliment and contrast to the brown and orange rather than matching it all up: SU! Ruby Red and Bliss Blue DP. (There is also a layer of Creamy Caramel that ties in their little bellies.) The red is nice with these warm tones (I chose to make this layer scalloped to go with red petals on the flower) and the blue is tied in with a very pale blue Copic shadow under the image. Sentiment is framed up in SU! oval punches.

No, this is not one of the promised tutorials, but a post I had saved, thankful to have it, William is very clingy today (and it's raining out, perfect snuggle weather) so I'm trying to give him lots of attention. Hopefully I will have one up tonight!

9 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love their expression as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great card Melanie. I love your attention to detail, how you matched up their belly's and the scallops with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card, Melanie!!!!
    TFS your talent and creativity. Congratulations on your card in the Card Maker magazine. When I saw the hippos I knew it was one of your cards,:D:D:D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so darn adorable! Love all of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling card, Melanie! I so appreciate your "tips"---like on extending the branch, etc. It's those little things that we'll remember later when we are struggling to put our idea on paper and it won't fit right. I hope William's knees and elbows heal quickly. I think those "owies" are even worse when they happen on "your" day!
    Gail S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! I like the "old married couple" look too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just adorable Melanie! Love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! The owls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)