Saturday, February 14, 2009

How to Make a Towel Wrap (Viewmaster)

This is a card I created for the My Favorite Things Guest Designer contest this month, I got an ambassadorship for the month! :) I wanted to make a girl chatting with ther manicurist at the spa, it's a view master card that allows you to use several of the greetings from the "And Then I Said" set from BCDZYNs. The image is colored with Copics. I added a few images from Rupa's "Perfectly Polished" set, the polish bottles are popped up with glue dots and covered with Crystal Lacquer. The shadows for the bottles are done with a dark Grey Copic. Her shirt is pieced from Basic Grey Bittersweet papers, which I also used for the trendy "poured concrete" counter. ;) Her face is layered to give it a paper tole effect and self adhesive rhinestones bling the card and her hand up a couple notches!

The picture helps show how the card was assembled before I added the girl and other decorative elements that completed the scene. I used the SU! word window punch for the window, the sentiments are on a circle underneath, the brad allows it o turn. For more on View Master card construction, see this post.

I had several people email me or leave comments saying they don't think they could draw that towel...well, as with all the other "new do's" I've given her, it IS still her hair! Let me show you, you can do this. I colored in the bangs and left the rest of the hair white.


Then I made a curved line to connect the outside to the next section in.

I repeat this as I work toward her chin on both sides.


Here you have the complete wrap with just a bit of light gray on the underside of each section for a shadow. Finish coloring and cut out! ta da! I'll be back in another post to show you some flesh coloring tips, this is one of the only "lady" stamps I have, so I've gotten lots of practice with it! :) I have another card coming up soon that is similar in concept, really fun, can anyone guess?

27 comments:

  1. Great Post! I will have to get that stamp set. I love it!

    I just purchased a bunch of your stamp sets. They are wonderful designs! I just have to get them all cut out and get busy making cards with them.


    Cheers,

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial! I was one of the many who asked how you made the towel wrap. ;-)

    By the way, I gave you two awards on my craft blog. Come on by when you get a chance. I have been telling everyone about your blog... I just can't sing your praises enough!

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh......cuteness to the max!!! But I'm sooo intimidated to try a view master card!!! Can I get a lesson when I visit??? Oooo......in fact can I just take some of your brain back home with me???!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is pretty cool how you did that. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am awestruck by your creativeness. A towel from her hair??? AMAZING! And I love the rest of the card - its 3D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I have this stamp set but have only just posted cards made with it. Will definately have a go at this. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Sharon :-)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever of you!!! ADORABLE card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie -- I LOVE your ability to see other images within a stamp and to then show me how to make it as well. Your creativity is incredible and I can never thank you enough for sharing!! Blessings and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is flippin' brilliant! How did you see a towel in her hair? You have that "magic" eye for sure! Spectacular job there girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DANG!!!! OK so I wasn't actually reading the text but just looking at photos so it took me a second to realize that you didn't use a stamp with a girl who's head was wrapped in a towel. CLEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius, Mel!

    What could be next? A short up-do?

    Bunny ears?! Tee hee!

    Kim Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you do it!!? I never would have seen a towel. Very creative and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just can't believe the things you come up with. You are beyone "talented". You are just magnificent! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is awesome and you are brilliant! You always come up with the neatest designs.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tutorial! You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! You never cease to amze me with all your ideas. I am so loving this card! I am a nail technition and how cute is this card?! Now I will have to order both of these sets...thanks you enabler, you! LOL Like I need help. *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  17. AMAZING artwork! You're one creative artist! Thanks for sharing the fine details!

    ReplyDelete
  18. where do you come up with this stuff. Love how you came up with the towel wrap and then all those sayings.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fantastic card Melanie! thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are just too cool!! This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really cool! Thanks for sharing.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just too cute.. what a great job. It's so creative. Thanks for sharing and giving us so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)