Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'll Fly Away

Today's card I sent last week to Gina's mom, Ruth. I spoke with Gina yesterday and she said they both got to sit down the other day and go through all the cards that came in, and how much they all meant to them, thank you everyone on their behalf! This card uses Allison's sketch from just So Sketchy, click here to see the original sketch !) It fits in a regular A2 envelope.
I was inspired by the story Gina shared on her blog about the butterfly leaving its coccoon (read here). I wanted her mom to have some butterflies to always remind her of how Gina's dad left his old body to fly away in a beautiful new one, to a new home. I stamped a butterfly from "Take Flight" twice onto a piece of patterned Basic Grey Granola Paper in Rich Cocoa Memento ink, cut them out and added some flocking to the bodies. Your fingers are all you need to add a few bends and curves to the wings for dimension the paper holds the shape. The circle and background are both neutral papers from this pack. I embossed my CB Leafy Branch onto the tan paper and sanded with my sanding block, and drew a brown line around the edge with a straightedge and marker to frame it up and tie it in with the delicate lines of the butterflies' wings. Card base is SU! Bordering Blue. I like these muted colors for this type of card, they're soft but not somber.
The top butterfly is attached, but the bottom one can be getnly pulled away to reveal a greeting! So where's the adhesive? Take two Basic Grey magnetic snaps, put one on the back of the butterfly(which can be displayed on the fridge) and put the other half of the magnet behind the circle mat. Now she has a small keepsake but then can put the pair back together any time she wants. :)
The "I'm praying for you" greeting is from the new Free with Three set "Taglines". TIP: these are straight greetings but you can give them a slight bend when you need to by making tiny snips along the bottom of the rubber (not into your image, mind you!) and anchoring the ends to your acrylic block with a little Dot n roller adhesive to keep the curve down long enough to stamp (Dot n roller adhesive rubs right off when you're done.) :)
I wanted to go ahead and post Ruth's address again. I know Gina was especially concerned about how her mom would do after all those initial cards and letters came in and the house was quiet. It would really brighten her day.
Ruth Aurelio
P.O. Box 164
McFarland, WI 53558
Hope your day is glorious!

18 comments:

  1. WOW! You made these look so real with the flocking. I would have never have thought of it, but certainly will rememberit :O)

    The butterfly being removable! WOW!

    I don't know if you have looked at these, but thought I would pass on the information. You can get

    MAGCRAFT® Magnets - 1/8" x 1/16" Rare Earth Disc, Package of 100

    from Amazon for only $8.99.

    I have been using these and from what I see, they are the same as the Basic Gray ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. waw such a gorgeous butterflies, just love it! Hugs, Moni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a gorgeous card! I love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card is just beautiful and the magnet idea is brilliant. I love the butterfly. Can you be more specific about where I can find it? Thanks, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to be anonymous, I forgot my google password. I'd like the name and company or where to get the butterfly stamp. jane12734@aol.com. Thanks, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is simply beautiful: the stamps, the card, the sentiment! What a sweet heartfelt card. Would you mind if I cased it? I love the magnetic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another amazing project. I love how you put so much THOUGHT into making a card meaningful on so many levels. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That card was perfect, I'm sure Gina's Mom appreciates how it goes with what the funeral director described.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your visit and sweet comments. So thoughtful to remind everyone to not forget that people hurt for so long after the initial tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful memory for the recipient!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh Mel!!! This is awesome! You are so brilliant & creative & I luv that you put magnets on it so you could take 1 off the card! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous, Melanie!! Great idea with the snaps!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took a picture of a real butterfly that looks almost like yours with its wings closed...only difference is it is irridescent blue when the wings are open...gorgeous!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. A stunning card Melanie! Love the butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and I had the same thought for Ruth's card! I also used the take flight for the card I sent to her.

    I love the colors you chose for your card and the fact that the butterfly is a attached by a magnet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so talented, clever and creative. This card is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure Gina's mom will love it, too. Very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That card is simply gorgeous! I hope that I can be as creative one day -- your talent amazes me.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)