Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Party Animals (The Gang's All Here!)

In a complete WWBD? moment*, I decided to spend half my day cutting and masking** my booty off to make this diorama with practically half my animal stamp releases (8 images from Jumping for Joy, one from Hippy, one from Hoppy, and a party hat from Hip Hop! whew!) on one big diorama card! I just love how you can put all these animals and images together and they really look like they came from one ginormous stamp set!
Hopefully you can see I made the stand into a cake by topping it with the sparklers! The little bear is closing his eyes and making a wish, getting ready to blow out his candles. :) (it would have looked better to cut out the cake also, but I thought about cutting out around all those sparklers for about 2 seconds and decided not to!)

The little roo, ostrich and seal and ball are mounted on dimensionals. Everything is colored with Copics. I used my Coluzzle to cut the oval window. To make the front and back of your shadowbox, make two scores on each side and fold. I made my back piece a little longer so you could see the red layer. Dimensions for you diorama depend on how big you make you scene. For this, I just made sure it 5 1/2 inches high so it would fit in one of my in a large envelope (that hold a card made from an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of CS folded in half)

For complete instructions on how to make these, see Dawn's tutorial since she's already got all the steps photographed for you! (Blast from the past: Here is the first shadowbox I ever made, almost 4 years ago!) Since I had so much else going on on my card, I decided to skip any brads eyelets or ribbon to hold the sides together this time, I just used Terrifically Tacky tape like she did.

Today is the 3rd, one week left to enter my Guest Designer Contest! Go for it!

* What Would Barb Do? (Barb Schram, who lives and stamps by "the more cutting, the better!" philosophy...)

** masking: covering up your already stamped images with the same stamped images you've cut out, so you can stamp something else over it, which will then look like it's behind it

17 comments:

  1. this is SO SO cute! Love it, esp the blush on the Zebra's cheeks. Love the faux b'day cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool. Reminds me of the one I made with the hippos. I especially like how you positioned the bear to be blowing out the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is awesome Melanie!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Now that's a happy card! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful card Melanie! Love all those bright colors and all the animals!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another totally cute card!! Wow sure looks like a lot of work, love the photos and those sand hands are just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Goodness, I just totally ADORE this! What a work of art. I can't even imagine how much time you must have spent doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh............it's an ANIMAL PAR---TAAAAAAY!!!!!! Melanie-style!!!! What a lot of love and labor in this masterpiece!!! Simply amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable! What a lot of work, but it turned out so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best card yet. Thanks so much for the great stamps and now the kewlest ideas.
    DianeL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie...this is awesome! The the cutout animals are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous card and the coloring is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! I can appreciate how much time this must have taken you. I love masking, but it is time consuming. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute! I love all the details you put into. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic!!! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute - love how you framed the birthday party and the faux cake is too cute - amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. holy crow! If I put on an animal costume, can I come to the party too?! Eeeekkk!! This is THE cutest! wow! you are amazing, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)