Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What a Difference a little COLOR Makes!

I've read comments from a few people asking for Kindred "Grandmas"! Stamp any Kindred Spirit in Basic Gray (or other waterproof grey or charcoal ink) before coloring the hair gray or salt and pepper(or black with a cool gray streak!)...has she aged a few years to you now? :) COLORING TIP: I can't find my neutral watercolor crayons! So in the meantime, I've been using my Aquapainter with my SU! black craft pad for variuous shades of black to gray, works like charm, very blendable better than trying use the aquapainter with a classic ink :)

I colored Rebecca to look like my grandma, and the kids to look like my brother Paul and I when we were little (using all my new Copics, c/o Joanna and Vanessa! I AM getting better with them!). I think she will really enjoy getting this card and remembering when my brother and I were this little. I used the "Grandmother" stamp from the Free with Three set Spring Blooms(which will be available to purchase on the 20th, when our next free with three set comes out!!) I liked having the "Grand" stamped on a different layer than the "mother" to accentuate both parts.

The polka dot background was inspired by my favorite dress when I was little. My mom made most of my clothes back then and my grandma made all my sweaters. Wanna see what I looked like at age 4?(looking all "Little House on the Prairie?"!)
Ahh, 1977! do you miss those days? ( do some of you REMEMBER those days??)

IMPORTANT: only two days left to enter the contest!! I've seen some FANTASTIC projects out there using the tin sets but have only gotten a handful emailed to me, and you MUST SEND it to me to be "put up for the vote!" So please enter! Deadline is the 17th (coincidentally when the sneak peeks start! You'll be getting them here and on Gina k's blog in just a few days of the stamp set you could win!!!

And later this week, a big blog candy giveaway! So check back! :)

16 comments:

  1. ha ha - too cute, the card (as a grandma) and your picture. I remember those days, but not any wearing a bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in 1969 so I do remember those days. I have been just getting my girls to watch "Little House on the Prairie". I didn't remember all of the awful things that happened on it though. I enjoy re-watching it but they are a little skeptical ;)
    LOVE the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww.......what a sweetie!!!! Love that Laura Ingalls look!! Of course I remember 1977, I was in 6th grade!!! You're just a baby!!!! LOL

    This card is such a cool idea!!! A gramma!!! How adorable that is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable picture! I swear that backdrop in your picture is the same one that is in a pic of me when I was around the age of 4! I so wish I could enter your tin contest, but I don't have that set (yet!). Looking forward to the new releases though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had a darling smile back then and you still do today. That photo is too cute:) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too cute, Melanie! I LOVE it! You are a whiz at things like this. And by the way (in case you didn't get my email), I CAN'T resist the giraffe. . he's too cute, but I always find myself reaching for the hippo first. The hippo was my first crush! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what, I think you haven't changed much!!! :-) Well your fashion sense has, but not your face! ;-)

    In 1977 I think I was wearing bell bottom pants and I had a pretty short boy haircut, since my mom got tired of me crying when she untangled my hair so one day she just snipped the whole ponytail off with scissors (yep,very traumatic!)
    The ponytail is still at my parents' house, nicely wrapped in tissue paper. Every time I go there (which is not often now of course) I take it out of the drawer and shake the golden curls under my mom's nose telling her "how could you do that!?"
    Can't wait to show it to Naomi, she will freak out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh look at how cute you are! Yes, I do miss those days! Gee you and I are about the same age I was born the end of 1972.
    Love the card too LOL! Go Grams!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, how sweet! You're Grandmother is sure to adore it! Your coloring looks superb! OH, you are SO cute! What a darling dress and matching, ehem--bonnet? hehe :) it's really adorable! At least you look like a girl! My mom dressed me in trousers with suspenders and vests! Thank heavens she kept my hair long or I would have sworn she was trying to make me a boy, lol! Can't wait to start seeing the sneak peeks---ooohh, how exciting! hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my goodness. We just came across my and my aunts (only 6 yrs older than me) LHOTP bonnets last Saturday while doing a huge clean out of what was the storage room.....soon to be the "family scraproom"........at my grandparent's house. Mine is blue...aunt's is patchwork print. She handed it to my 19 yr old cousin who proceeded to put in on backwards! I have pics on my cell phone. It was a hoot! Gotta love those 70's red tinted portraits. We have many of those, too.

    Great card, by the way:) Your gma will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes I remember I was 21, first real job, bought my first car and started to live on my own, well I was housesitting for my sister and it was 2 miles away from my parents. And I had a dorothy hammel haircut. I loved that haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, what a great pic of you, so cute! I remember 1977 well, I was a junior in high school! (Yes, I am very old!) Love your card and know your g'ma will be blessed by your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I have a picture of me with that same background. The entire picture has turned red.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on the coloring. Let's see, what was I doing in 1977. . .oh that's right, I wasn't born yet. I came the next year(wink wink)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. darling card. you do know how to bring color to life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't you the little cutie!! Oh yes....I remember those 70's! Ha, ha!

    Your grandma is so cute! Great job with that! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)