Friday, January 13, 2012

Faux Postage Tutorial

Good morning and happy Friday! Today I have a short tutorial for a card I shared at the release party with "Stately Flowers 2", creating a large postage stamp look. Some faux postages use a template that has little dots in between the blocked images to look like perforations, but I really love the look and value of these postage edge scissors I got for 99 cents!

First I stamped my goldenrod in Memento Tuxedo Black on white and colored with Copics.
Then I placed a Long Rectangle Nestabilities over it and traced inside the die with a black pen, going around where the flower overlapped, and leaving the stem open at the bottom. To me this is more interesting than just drawing a box! I love this tall image and ow it fills up the space of this die cut. Notice I also cropped it at an angle rather than straight up and down.
Remove the die and trim with postage scissors. Next I masked the flowers and put sticky notes along the edges of the border I drew, then sponged in Memento Bahama Blue ink with a jumbo sponge dauber.

That's it! I stamped the goldenrod again along the red layer in Versamark and added this greeting from Theresa's "Mountain Wilderness" set. Love, love these tall greetings! (If you look at her blog today, we were thinking about the same thing!) Cardstock is Gina K Pure Luxury Lipstick Red, Black Onyx and Blue Raspberry.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Just a perfect pop of color

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "postage stamp" -- also the fact that you work with such expensive tools!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blue sponging makes me so happy! Just ties everything together beautifully! Thanks for sharing your magic with us, Melanie! Your card is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card! I love it! The goldenrod is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning - love the offset oblong behind the focal image!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Mel! The goldenrod looks awesome! Love the postage stamp look - thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, love the postage stamp look!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)