Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Vintage Butterfly Lace Tutorial


Good morning! Here is another way to use the butterfly from "Make a State-ment", it may just be one of my favorite tutorials evah! :) When I was stamping out my pendant last week, I couldn't help but notice that the scalloped edge of the wings and tiny dots along it looked a lot like an intricate lace border! I love the look of lace on cards, bu don't have any. So away with the black ink and I got out my Versamark pad and clear embossing powder. Isn't that pretty! The way the top of their wings is so flat makes it a great trim and border for the side or bottom of a card. The small butterfly from this set just fits inside each pair to make the smaller scallop.
This photo shows it and the smaller butterfly stamped in Versamark onto Gina K Pure Luxury White and embossed with clear powder. TIP: Whenever you are going to create a border out of a stamp element, it's best to start by stamping in the middle of your mat, then stamping on either side. This way you don't have a full butterfly on one end and just part of one of the other, and you don't have to measure! Repeat these steps on the other side of the mat.


Sponge distressing ink over, here I used Vintage Photo. Isn't that gorgeous how the design pops? Doesn't it look like real lace? (I gotta say, it turned out even prettier than I imagined it would!)
Last I added a flower and greeting from "Stately Flowers 2", and another cut and colored butterfly. I used a Petite Oval and Labels 14 Nestabilities to make the label. Use Stardust pens to trace the details in the images for some extra sparkle! Card base is Pure Luxury Ivory.

You can create this butterfly lace with so many different embossing powders or inks for different looks as well as stamping in dark ink on dark paper. In ink, the details will be more crisp and the butterfly will be more noticeable, but with the puffiness and dimension of the EP, you hardly see the butterfly and just see "lace". I think I feel some black lace over red coming on for Valentine's day! You can also trim around the scalloped edges to create another layer. Look for more samples and variations using this technique coming up, as I want to try this a million ways now! This butterfly just became one of my favorite images! :)

Thanks for visiting me today! Please link this tutorial to share with others if you found it helpful!

32 comments:

  1. This is beautiful--thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooo beautiful Melanie! You have such a creative mind! Can I come play with you!! LOL! Now I must have that butterfly! I thought I had enough of them, but NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my, what a stunner Mel!! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have created a stunning border with your butterfly, Melanie! Wishing I had just a "touch" of your creativeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did with these butterflies, I must try this :). OH...Your card is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really genius Melanie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great technique. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always amaze me with the out-of-the-box way you use the stamps! Absolutely gorgeous, Melanie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, you always come up with the most inventive ways to use stamps. This card is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! Thanks so much for sharing a fantastic way to use the butterfly stamp. It is truly beautiful and absolutely looks like lace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous!!! What a beautiful way to incorporate the main image into the background too!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing another fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Melanie!! I will have to CASE your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a creative use of that stamp! I love it. Thanks for the inspiration. I see lots of potential with many of my floral stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am speechless, this is so awesome!!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome!!! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a brilliant idea, Melanie. I absolutely love it! And such a beautiful card! When you're so creative, there's no end to the ways you can use a single stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous technique and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a practical and fun technique! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning card Melanie!!! I love every little thing about it. And what a fabulous idea to use the butterfly to make the lace border! I will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my word this is just stunning! I am so excited to have found your blog-Girl you are so talented.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've got to try this stupendous idea, Melanie...this is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH my goodness! this is absolutely gorgeous...the butterflies look like fine lace or tatting! And the coloring on the monarch is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ditto what everyone else has already said LOL and I also cant wait to try this!!!
    hit this one out of the ballpark kid-oh (-:

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! How clever are you? How come I don't see lace when I look at my butterflies? Maybe I need to look at them sideways -- you are a genius! Thanks for sharing this clever, fun and simple technique! I can't wait to try it either!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just saw your fabulous card on Pinterest, followed the link, and here I am, reading through the tutorial. WOW! Fantastic idea to use the butterfly as a lace border. It is absollutely gorgeous. Will have to try this. TFS.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)