Saturday, March 22, 2008

Card Set for the Girl on-the-Go!

I was looking at the label border the other night and thought it would make a really nice border for a pocket sized note card. I hadn't made any cards with these tin sets yet, but I've been meaning to! I put 4 little cards and matching envelopes inside the tin along with this little pencil.* No stamps needed for these teeny cards, gotta deliver it in person!


To make each card, stamp it at the bottom corner of a piece of CS, leaving about 1/8" from the edge of the border to the edge of the paper. Score just above the top, to leave 1/8 inch her to match the other side. Fold at the score and cut the other side, again leaving 1/8 ", and make the last cut to make the back of your card (folding it shows how long the front is to match the back.) I used my SU! large corner rounder to punch through both layers on the corners. Looks very modern I think. I used my SU! Pretty In Pink and Chocolate Chip markers to ink up the flowers, **. On the Blush Blossom cards I added a white dot in the center of each to give it a little pop and tie it into my white cards. I stamped them inside the card as well to carry my design through and then used the small 2 bud flower that matches on the back of the card where I sign my name. The greeting is from Rupa's "Thinking of You". I followed Lauren's Scor-Pal tutorial to make the envelopes from this patterned DP, but found I had to make it just a little shorter lengthwise to fit in the tin(since these cards are single layer and have no embellishments, though, they don't need much allowance on either of the sides to fit in the envelope, KWIM?). After folding and adhering the sides, I also used my corner rounder at the tops and bottoms of the envelopes for it to fit, looks really cute with these round corners! This special tin needs to be decorated to match and make it a true "set", of course, but I'm out of tins! (this is my "wristy" with the strap hidden for the pic!) So until my shipment arrives, just imagine something pink and fabulous on the outside! ;)


Makes a fun little gift set for someone or great to keep in your car or purse when you need to throw a little handwritten note in with a spur-of-the-moment gift you just bought or drop in someone's mailbox when you're on the go!


TIP: This same design but with a handwritten or stamped name at the bottom in place of the greeting would be beautiful for place cards at a tea or dinner party.


*I found a 4 pack of mini mechanical pencils at Big Lots for a dollar, perfect size for the tins.



**This was inspired by a beautiful redbud branch outside my bathroom window. When you make the "stems" on this image brown, this is just what the branches look like (well, actually the bark is more of a Sahara Sand...but no matter!) If you've never seen these trees, the blossoms are not red, but a gorgoeus pink-purple, kind a of mauve. After the blooms are gone, the tree grows the most fantastic heart-shaped leaves! It's one of my favorite things about spring arriving each year: seeing the tree turn and spying the first buds on the limb. :)

13 comments:

  1. Melanie, this is awesome! It's so delicate-just perfect for when you need a little thinking of you or thank you card. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo sweet!! I love these for adding to a gift......I end up buying lots of gifts on the way to the hospital, or something like that......these would be a perfect touch to add!!! Out of tins?? Oh nooooo!!! Are you going crazy yet??? LOL Can't wait to see what new and fun ideas you come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea Melanie ... love it! I added a couple to my blog this morning if you are interested.
    http://stampowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- This little set is adorable!♥
    2- We need pics of that tree (at all different stages of course! ;-) )
    3- Happy Easter to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a genius!!! That is awesome!
    And so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an awesome idea. love the mini cards...beautiful set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! I just love the soft colors and the images... fantastic idea and it looks awesome! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute; but I have got to be so beyond blonde...I just don't get "how" they're made. I know, I know; buy the darn set, print the instructions and just DO IT! URGH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just PERFECT! What a great little set to have on hand to add a card to a bouquet of flowers! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, how precious! I'm going to mine just like this! What a lovely idea for Carolyn's flowers! I want to make one for every woman I know! TFS, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little notecard tin, Melanie!! Fantastic idea, and so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)