Monday, March 31, 2008

Got Time?? Tole-tally!

Good grief, I just stamped and cut out THREE kangaroos! This was definitely more time that I like to spend on a card, but it was worth it because I have something to post and completed two challenges in the process: this week's technique challenge for SCS, (TLC162) and the Gina K Designs sponsored Sketch of the Week at Card Positioning Systems. (CPS58) Edited to add: Boy do I feel like a dork, I was supposed to use Spring Blooms for the sketch!! back to the drawing board!

The technique this week was paper tole, where you cut out one image into several layers and mount to give a 3-d effect, but you could not do a flower (which is most typical of tole). Well, if you've seen my gallery, you already know I've given this technique a workout with the hippo (very easy cutting!)and giraffe (not so easy cutting!) but I had not yet tried it with a hoppy! Doing three layers here I found rather tedious(because you have to color the ones UNDERNEATH since you'll see them from the sides!*), but I like how it turned out!

The umbrella is two layers. I colored a toothpick with my black marker for a handle and mounted between the first and second layer so it looked like it was over his shoulder. I used my corner rounder punch to make the corners and the scalloped border at the top.

The sticker accents around the ribbon and along the bottom came from the same SU! Scrappin kit which was offered last year, as was the DP. This made a nice card base because the DP is cardstock weight and one sided so you have white space inside to write your message.

You had to have three little accents along the bottom for the sketch, and I noticed only after I added my little stickers it looked like he was hopping from one to the next, completely unintentional!(luckystamper) Reminds me of the cartoon songs "just foll-ow the bounc-ing BALL!" :)

Great quote: "Creativity is not a driving force. It happens. It creates itself and you have to be open." ~ Mayumi Oda, artist and writer

* and you can bet I did a crummy job coloring on the layers you don't really see!! LOL!(and on the one you can see for that matter, by that time I was just ready to get! the thing! done!! ;)

14 comments:

  1. Love your card Melanie! Saw it over at SCS and had to come by your blog and let you know that. Your set is perfect for this technique and had I not left it at my mom's I would have used it.

    Love the scallop strip on top and the dp is just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... he is so cute! You have such a good eye for colors!

    Love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable card!! Great job with sketch 58...thanks for playing this week!!

    ~Lea L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh........I'm so hoping I feel better tomorrow as I realllllly wanted to do this challenge!! It does look tedious, but oh my!! Definitely worth it my dear!! Wonderful card and your Kanga absolutely HOPS off the page!!! I've got to go check out the new site you and Gina posted too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i'm loving the card anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTE - wow! Love it all, the colors, kangaroo (miss him) LOVE his umbrellla!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! very creative take! i like how the roo pops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so super cute!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, just adorable!! I love the trim at the top and that sweet kangaroo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the supercuteness of it all just makes me smile! Great job! Owls and kangaroos have really been on my wish list lately! I wonder why that is? And flamingo's.........Hint, Hint! Can't find any really good flirty flamingos:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable!! I love the colors and dimension you've given to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I soooo love this kangaroo. you did great

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so adorable! I love it! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's so cute, brilliant colours

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)