Saturday, March 8, 2008

"SEE a Need, FILL a Need" (PEEK!)

Did you see "Robots"? What a cute, inspiring movie this was(about a would-be inventor)! While this movie was NOT the inspiration for my sets, the concept of these stamps was my "solution" to a "problem". It went like this:
Remember a couple days after the January Gina K release when she announced on her blog that the counter wasn't working on her shopping page and almost 200 tins had been ordered that weren't in stock? Talk about a bummer! Of course she saved the day and generously offered free tins to everyone who'd tried to order in addition to the refund! But it got me thinking...I love Gina and it's really hard for me to see pictures of her buried behind a wall of boxes that I can't help pack, vulcanizing rubber when she needs to be calling people about Copic club, etc and now this! I want to just roll up my sleeves and jump in! But it's difficult to help when I'm all the way down here in Texas!


All DAY I kept fretting over all those tins people would soon be getting and needing to alter, and if there was anyway I could personally help Gina recoup her losses. About 2 AM I woke up with the an idea, and scurried to my computer and pad. I worked all night and had my sets finished the next morning, ready to call Gina (at a reasonable hour!) and explain my plan. (But first I had to call Vanessa and Donna to ask them to pray I wouldn't blow it, I was a little delirious from excitement and sleep deprivation!) Well, she LOVED it, and I'm sure you will too! Kinda poetic that this happened if you read this post and know I was puttering around with these Altoid tins years ago, funny how they crept back into "my story". :)


I can't even begin to tell you how many ways you can use these stamps for cards, tins, boxes tags, whatever!! They make such fast, easy, cheap, FUN gifts, and the labels are sized to fit on the top, bottom AND inside of your tin, you'll have it covered inside and out in no time! (I never liked having to try to measure, cut, trim sand to get it right these leave a perfect silver "mat" around the label, it looks so sharp! And no more having to search the threads online for kit titles ideas or trying to type, size and printing out the occasion or greeting you need, they're right here for you! (There are several other features of these stamps that will blow your mind, so stay tuned!) Gina k showed you one from the "Kid" set(although it's not just for kids and the other is not for adults, that's just an easy way to refer to them, but both are very versatile, and have different "must have" labels in each!



The projects below use ONE of my FAVORITE stamps in from the more "adult" set(let's say big kids instead, shall we??! "Open me!" It's just SO Alice in Wonderland- surreal! I read it and I imagine the tin sprouting a super cape and springing to my rescue! Or a genie billowing out to do my bidding! or Gloria freakin' Gaynor jumping out and singing "I Will Survive!" in my time of need! (my own private disco!)

The first I decorated for "the guys": the "faux screws" were created with a black Sharpie and some adhesive metal dots from Colorbok I found for a dollar at Jo-ann's(still have a ton left on the sheet) Make a line for flathead, an "x" for Phillips. And check this out, you CAN actually can pack everything you need an Altoid tin to survive! I can think of a few people to make these for, can't you? But if your man isn't going to be out roaming the woods, he could also put change, gum, playing cards etc, typical guy stuff. (As usual, I have a tip sheet for ALL the stamps in my two new sets with a bazillion ways to use them PLUS I will be providing kit contents ideas for you!)

And here's a "blinged out" girly survival kit, for ME! (the "emergency..." part is on the back) I call this a "wristy", my purse alternative for a hands-free night on the town, slide your hand through the loop and go! In here I can fit my driver's license, credit card, cash, gum, a lipstick, mirror, AND key! Did I forget anything? ( I'll be providing you a tutorial later with how I made it,of course) :)

So what do you think?? Are you as excited as I am? Ready to see more??
There will be another peek tomorrow on Gina k's blog of the other set!

37 comments:

  1. This set looks fantastic. I can't wait to see more! I'm looking forward to seeing additional uses beyond the altoid tins :)
    ~ jess k

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly brilliant idea! I've been holding back on purchasing red rubber stamps lately, but these sets are a necessity! Thank you!

    Smiles,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Mel,
    These are adorable! Great for Mother's Day and Father's Day. Love the little screws. So cute! Your sets are so cool! I am having a ball with them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m so ready - I want more! :-)
    Cant wait. please hurry. :-D
    /Tina F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHhhh...this is AWESOME!! I can't wait to see more! I just love your blinged out tin..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love those little tins. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute!!! Can't wait - I have tons of tins to start altering!!! Can't wait till Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. melanie theze r grate i luv them i must have them how col!!!! u wur rite that no won has evr made this cind of set or shud i sa sets won for cids and won for the big cids u crac up me i wil tri to wat for them but monda iz a long time frum now

    merri

    ReplyDelete
  9. YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!! And saw the sneak peek on Gina's blog!! Cuteness....and fun, fun, fun!!! Yep......credit card is ready.......and so am I for the party!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy meatballs!!! You are such a clever and tricky little thing! I could have had a hundred guesses and probably wouldn't have come up with altoid tins! What a brilliant and fabulous, versatile and useful creation! Oh, how this will simplify my gift giving! I love these suckers, but this is going to make them so easy and fast to make, I will just have them stocked up at all times with your stamps nearby! Love the *wristy*, so cool! Love the guy tin, so neat! Love Gina's sneak peek! I'm on pins and needles waiting for Sunday and Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of these are so awesome, Melanie!! Your guys' and girls' versions are rockin'. 'Course my favorite is the girly blinged out wristy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so awesome! love the wristy too! I'm so humbled and honored I was one of the first people you turned to when you had your 'idea' and could pray with you. So happy to call you 'friend' I know I'm going to love these sets too (but I think the Hoppys will always be near & dear to my heart because my creativity & out of the box stamping happened big time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC!!!! Love the two variations. Finished another tonight....cannot wait to be able to post!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a bunch of Altoid tins built up in my stash. Now I HAVE to buy this new set to make them useful! Shame on you fo making me spend more money! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. aaaah I am freaking!!! what a fantastic idea. I loved these tins except for that same fact that I didn't want to cut and measure and sand...took too much time. I am so getting this set...thanks!!
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you kidding me...this is great!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the set!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie
    This is a GREAT idea.......Iam thinking for Teacher Appreciation Week.........the teacher's are always looking for anyone who has a quarter for the drink machine(i just gave out 2 on Friday)decorate it and fill it with quarters for the inside of their desk.....maybe a monogram??? CUTE! I can't wait!
    Elizabeth Glass.............really the many idea's are endless........

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful idea! I can't wait to see more! Nice work Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look fantastic, and I never would have guessed because it's a new idea, and also because we don't have Altoids in Australia :(

    I am sure I could find some sort of tin here though so will look around. :-D

    And I guess I could always order some from Gina? :-D :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful - that's all I can say!!! Watching the preview eagerly at the edge of my seat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have some tins and don't know what to do with them... these stamps are great to get your project going! Love the DP on the second one... and is ribbon a handle? TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the "girlie" version! What a fabulous idea! I want to see more! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowza - what a great idea. More, more, more .... please? ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  24. of course you aren't going to make us wait until tomorrow to see more, RIGHT? I'm sure you are busy uploading right now....I'll just give you 10 more minutes (to allow for those kiddo interruptions) and check back......(insert BIG OL' Cheesy grin here)
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so excited, I want to see more more more.
    Take care,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow wow wow


    I LOVE the screw heads! That is so appropriate for a guy!!


    Genius !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your screw idea was GOLD! Finally a manly embellishment. I got a lot of Altoids at $1. I may dump out all the mints and transform the tins. Looking forward to more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! Both the guy and gal versions- brilliant :)
    And now I have a use for all the tins I have emptied out and saved (I love cinnamon altoids)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This set looks awesome. Great idea and I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's really cute! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are brilliant!!! So super talented and aware of the needs of all your addicted stampers!!! Thanks for being fabulous, can't wait for the release!! By the way, I nominated you for an award on my blog, you should check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW. . . . What else can I say? These new sets are just. . . . incredibly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  33. cute idea! can't wait to see what else you come up with! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it!!! I bought a bunch of those a few months ago with the idea of making tootfairy boxes and little treasure boxes, but haven't started yet...and BAM you come up with this! *grin* !! (big grin!♥)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)