Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Totally Hip Tin!

I think I am even more excited about this project than the onesie! or the wristy! Are you ready for this??? How about an ipod holder?! (The more I play with these the more I think everything new was DESIGNED to fit in an Altoid tin!) And how perfect: "The Essentials" for the Modern Girl on-the-Go!" What could be more appropriate for your personal selection of Tunes? EDITED TO ADD: want to make one of these to give someone as a gift? Be sure to tuck in an itunes gift card, they fit!!)

First, I centered my ipod under the tin with the lid opening out to the left. I made a mark with my Sharpie on my tin where I wanted to make my hole for the jack so it would line up once I put it inside.
Next I centered my large hole punch in the Cropodile over the dot and punched.


For the top I wanted two holes that I could slide my little claw type clasp(like a key ring but that opens rather than having to thread it) through. I punched the first hole slightly right of the center, pushed the clasp through, and made a mark again where it would come out the other side.
Punch again on the dot, and now you have your two holes. (pic shows top view of all three)
To make the labels I used waterproof labels-(ya know, just in case, and love that they already have adhesive), I kissed my bold stamp from What's In your Tin? I to my inked up SU! Dotted background. I added the narrow border in black and then omitted parts of the greetings until I had everything "stacked" to my satisfaction. I didn't have time for the stampamajig, so the last part was a little off, you cover this by adding a few flourishes (from a cheap Inkadinkadoo value set) to balance your design out. (see top pic)


For the inside I decided to recreate the label from the outside but make a personalized label. (As an afterthought I figured I might as well add my number in case I lose it (but I'm pretty sure if I lose it no one be will calling me about it! ('cause they'd want to keep that cute TIN, right?? ;)
You can unplug your jack and there is enough room inside to store your earbuds when not in use. I tucked a few of my business cards behind it(ya know, for all the wheelin' and dealin' I do on-the-go!) to keep it from rattling around(although it can't move around, the jack going up through the hole and into the ipod keeps it firmly in place). If you're out for a walk, exercising, or errands, you could tuck a house key or a little cash in there as well. EDITED TO ADD: Carolina suggested the great idea of putting your gym card in here when you go to work out!
You can hang this on your belt loop or attach it to your purse, tucked inside. Not only is it fun, it protects the ipod and keeps you from accidentally brushing up against it and blasting out your ear with the volume! (I have one of those caribiner things(which I think I paid almost 20 bucks for, but tins are only 1.50! )that it slides into and allows you to tune the dial without taking it out, but I always seem to bump into things and it gets changed, turned off etc) It's also really easy to open the lid to view the screen and change the song. Having the ring at the top and the jack sticking through into the plug keeps it upright and from falling out when you open the lid. I wore it all day, it worked great, perfect sound, just plug in and go! :) So what do you think?? Totally cute, totally functional, totally HIP! (Yup, those are my jeans...)

But what if you don't have a belt loop or carry a purse that day? Since you have two holes at the top, if you want to be really daring*, wear it on a chain for a huge ipod necklace-BLING!* Similar to those neck lanyards(but I don't have one because I read too many reviews that the ipod tends to fall right off the lanyard(which is also pricey) and potentially get lost or damaged... not with this baby!

*I know a few of you who would! (if you just laughed, I'm talking about YOU!) ;)

PS There is no significance to the songs you see on the display(if you can read 'em!), it was on shuffle. Had I planned better, a more inspired choice would have been "Hips Don't Lie"

38 comments:

  1. Okay seriously, could you get any more brilliant!!! I have to make one of these as soon as I can buy all the stuff to do it with!! Cool song by the way, and unless you want all us crazies(LOL) calling you, you might want to cover up that number.;) I can hear it now............................ UMM Melanie, you don't know me, but I need help with my wristy ipod holder thingy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! I LOVE IT! Thank you so much for sharing your genous ideas.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOODNESS! This is to die for...well the tin that is. WONDERFUL idea...you are soooo creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O M GOSH!! You are a goddess. LOL! That is the cutest thing!!!! AHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your just so darn brilliant girl!!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie............just HOW do you out-do yourself each time?????? Seriously.........DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently I **am** one that would wear the neck BLING!!!!! LOL OH wow....I even got a "COOL!" out of my 17 yo dd!!!! Ohhhhhhh what a FAB idea for teen graduation gifts!!! And I've got a bunch of nieces and nephews!! Inspired Melanie...........truly inspired!!!!!!!! I agree with Jessie.........some of just might put you on speed-dial!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is totally ingenious!!! Now I HAVE TO buy this set!!! Pure genious I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *SQUEE*

    That's awesome! Tell Gina that you just sold another set!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME idea...wow are you the cleverest girl!
    LOVE that.
    wonder if it will work the same for an mp3?! yep..I bet it will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, girl!!! This is the bestest yet!!! I don't have an ipod...but if I did, I know what to do!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. TOTAL genius!!
    Just found your site, but have seen you on SCS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay GENIUS!!! You are so creative and such an inspiration...love it!!! Have to make one for my sis so she can carry that and her gym card...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool! what a fantastic idea!!!

    Samm
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just when I think you've wowwed me all you can...you have to step it up even further! Can I just say GET OUT!! OMG!!!! This is the coolest thing ever, and now I HAVE to make one for MY ipod!! :-) (speaking of which, ours could be twins! ;-)

    Have a wonderful day you amazingly creative and talented lady, you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. there are followers and there are leaders - and you are DEFINITELY a thinking leader! You never cease to amaze me with your ingenius ideas! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. genius, girl!! :D
    Nicole
    thestampinlibrarian.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog and the tutorials. This IPOD holder is adorable! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok.............what vitamins, food, yoga do I need to take to get a creative mind like yours? PLEASE help me!!
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea and such a cool gift! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cool! I just love seeing all those new ideas with the tins blooming everywhere!

    My stamps arrived today! Yaaaayyy! And I hope to be able to make a little tin on my own tomorrow...;-) I'll let you know how that goes obviously... ;-)...

    As Jessie said, I would blur my phone number if I was you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another amazing idea Melanie! I just received my order today from Gina K with two of your sets and three of the altoid tins - I can't wait to get a chance to play with them - I even tried to fit my cell phone in them, but nada - and I don't have an ipod, but I can't wait to try out your new sets!! YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wanna look cute in my jeans like you!!! LOL

    What an incredible idea; you're such a rock star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, will you be offended if I say "SHUT UP!" This is fabulous. I've been reading everything on google reader, and lazy about coming over to say hello.

    You rock my friend. Fantabulous. Love it. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Melanie, how amazing is this idea?? Love it! I spent ages looking through stores and talking to salespeople about which mp3 case I should buy - I have an unusual mp3 that no one seems to make a case for. I found a clumsy thing that doesn't store my ear buds. Now I can throw the ugly thing away! As soon as I can get me some altoid tins and those stamps - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this is way cool!! Fabuloud idea and very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a freakin' genius!!! I am SO impressed with this one, Mel! WAY COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally ordered my tins! I can't wait to make one for my DD! And maybe some for my craft sale in May!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  28. How totally great is this tin!!??

    I got my daughter's "hand-me down" I-Pod. They got the BIG ones 80GB. Mine is the slim one and I know that it will fit! I gotta make one for myself that says "PRINCESS".

    Thanks for the tutorial ... gotta love the crop-a-dial too!

    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  29. This totally rocks my world! That is truly awesome. I just said to my friend the other day that you must walk around with your little tin just seeing what will fit!

    I absolutely LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is an amazing project Melanie! Love it... too bad I don't I have that ipod! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This completely rocks! No pun intended! Seriously- too fun for words!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this idea! I wish I had a little ipod now! lol. Thanks for posting on my blog :) I always see these great things by Melanie but it ends up being you! lol. have a great Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a crafty goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, that is so creative; I have a new project on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful idea am looking for gifts for teens this is just right for all ages thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    come see me posted june challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Whooo Hooo!! an absolutely brilliant idea! I WILL be making one of these for each of the kids and one for myself! Thanks for sharing your brilliancy with all the rest of us, lol!
    'Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)