Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Two Challenges-Hatty Birthday!


I actually managed to make something for this week's color challenge (Whisper White, Basic Gray, and Soft Sky(I had to substitute bashful Blue) and last week's technique challenge on SCS (the negative effect); I think pigs just flew by!!!

I was SO excited to see how the size shape and delicate lines of he narrow border image from WIYT2 goes with Rupa's Thinking of You images, it's like they were MFEO!!("made for each other", Sleepless in Seattle) The first time I saw this stack of hat boxes I immediately thought "cake"!! I stamped the cake first, covered it with a mask and then stamped my label around it. The "cake and hat are colored with ink and an Aquapainter. Next I drew a few lines for candles, added a dab of ink for the flames and went over them with Stickles. I inked up just the "hats off" part of the sentiment so I could use my SU! oval punch and new silver hodgepodge frame. I chose an oval tag to mimic the tops of the hat boxes.

For the background you ink up the negative side (that has the word "Cuttlebug" printed on it) of your Cuttlebug folder (I thought Paisley would be perfect with Rupa's India influenced images.) Add your paper and roll through you bug, and you have a beautiful two-toned textured background! Clean the folder immediately after using. (This was actually a LOT easier to do than I thought, the ink hasn't gone down into the grooves when you ink up this side, so it was just a simple swipe-love it!) I notched out the corners with the cool 4 way corner scissors Gina sells, and added a halfback peal in the corners. To make the mat for my focal point, I stamped the same label onto Basic Gray CS, then went around the outside with another pair decorative edge scissors and put the focal point on top. Perfect! Finished the card off with some taffeta SU! ribbon.
TIP: The location of my accents follows the "rule of thirds", if you split the card up into thre sections vertically and three sections horizontally(tic tac toe bor style), the ribbon runs down on linewith the tied bow being where two lines intersect, the right edge of the coal pint falling on the other vertical line with the hodge podge frame intersecting. This is an easy way to place your details and results in a pleasing layout.

I love the way this turned out!! PLEASE remind me to do these challenges more often!! :) (I'm usually just too busy/lazy to go check, so I bookmarked the challenge forum so it's easier for me to open and check out before I start a new project)
TOMRROW: a very special blog candy and contest to win free stamps announced tomorrow!! :)

11 comments:

  1. I love how you see things, I would have never thought of making this a cake, but it works so well, how could you not!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...very creative and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, but that is what we come to expect from such a talented person *wink* I love the negative bg with paisley. I haven't bought this one yet, but I am thinking about it. Great job! :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had another "Well DUH!!" moment looking at your card....Of course the hat boxes make a perfect cake.....I JUST CAN'T SEE THE OBVIOUS UNTIL IT SMACKS ME IN THE HEAD!!! (ok...ok....if I stamp everyday....my eyes will open to new possibilities.....RIGHT? please tell me it will happen! LOL)
    starla

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!! I just love that "cake".....perfect with the candles on top!!! Just lovely paisley bg....that negative effect technique is beautiful!! My dd likes the rule of thirds and likes to tell me that I usually am not following it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous; I use your name regularly when discussing WHY I think I need to buy something! HA! You're a total enabler...love it! Fabulous card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, so pretty! Love what you did with this challenge and this image...too creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I never tried inking my cuttlebug folders, I HAVE to try that!!!... Beautiful card, I love the soft hues...

    Also I wanted to tell you that pretty much every time I visit your blog I go pet your kitty cat and have him purr and meow for me... Do you think I should see a therapist for that addiction?... ;-) (I DO have a real cat also!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative and beautiful!! I love all of your details too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful..great colors..and embellishements!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful the colors are perfect

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)