Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cinema Saturday:Wizard of Oz

Ill go ahead and share my Cinema Saturday creation, but ding dong! I completely missed the required element of the challenge: a metallic element(see Sankari's fabulous Tin Man sample!) Doh! Oh well, I'm still really happy with it it, and had a blast working on it. Although the challenge was posted yesterday, this card might go down in the books as longest time to make a card from start to finish, because I started it back in JULY! Yes, you read that right, I pieced together the dress and shoes from "Retro Boutique" right after the set was released because I thought the shape of it and some gingham paper would make a perfect little "Dorothy outfit" for a follow your dreams type card, but I never finished it because I couldn't decide on a layout. The pieces you were cute not to save(and I'd spent the time on them!), so I tucked them away in boxes to complete at a later date when inspiration struck...well, hello, inspiration!! (7 months later LOL! hey, you never know...! I was just impressed I found them!)


I stamped the dress once onto white CS, so I could sketch in the apron to cut out and lay over the pieced image, and once onto Magnolia gingham DP and added some little cap sleeves with a pen. Red Stickles and adhesive rhinestones colored to match are accents for the shoes and bag, I colored the basket with Copics with the chisel tip end, dotting some little squares it to make it look like woven strips. The background DP is Basic Grey Sultry and the path is Summer Sun CS I Cuttlebugged with my mesh folder. "The journey begins" is from my "Hand-in-Hand" set.

Inside I stamped "Wish Shoe Well!" from Rupa's set, perfect with the ruby slippers, dontcha think? I was going to put the ribbon on the outside, but decided to slide it into the inside, because having it at the top( although it was tying in the red and blue outfit at the bottom), was breaking up the illusion for me of the scene. The colors in the DP are so different from the outfit or yellow brick road, I know, but the flower print in the background was so perfectly, magically surreal, and while not perfectly coordinated, it really does give the impression of one of those vivid glorious Technicolor scenes from the movie, so I went with it!

(So what do you do with a "Wizard of Oz" card?? LOL! Send it to a film/craft buff and encourage them to enjoy "the journey"!) ;)


Cinema Saturday has a very nice PRIZE this week, a Gina K set of your choice valued at $19.95 or less, thank you Brooke and Sankari for offering that! You have until this Thursday, 12 PM PST to link your creation on the Cinema Saturday Challenge blog, see more details there. But DON'T FORGET THE METAL like I did if you want to win LOL! Q&A with Sankari soon to come!

29 comments:

  1. The dress, the ruby shoes and the yellow brick road all make such a fantastic card. Great job--very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this card - go back and add some type of bucket to the shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Wizard of Oz theme!! The gingham dress, ruby slippers, and yellow brick road are fabulous, Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I love this card. It is fantastic. I just want to tell you I have been having so much fun with A Year of Flowers lately. I just made the cutest cards with the tulips and lilies. I used your technique for coloring the tulips, loved it Thank you for all your inspiration and wonderfully designed sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative, I love it,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehehehehe!!! Oh that Dorothy dress is just so perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so darling! I must admit, I am impressed you remembered where you tucked away that little dress 7 months later LOL I think mine would have been hopelessly lost in the studio ... now where did I put that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as my dear Dad would say.. 'You played a blinder there love'! That yellow brick road is inspired!!!
    Viv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super creative and beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh!!! Melanie, even without the metal this is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be good for someone going through some challenging times or even relocating. It's great-I'm not lion...(ta da)

    ReplyDelete
  12. f you had a metal label frame that is the correct size you could put it over top of your front sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie,
    So glad you played along with Sankari and I... Your card is so Adorable.. I love the little red ruby slippers.... so sweet.. I just wanted to slip them on...
    The sentiment inside the card is so cute... Very clever..
    Hope to see you on many more challenges it was great to have you play...

    Hugs
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this card! Soo clever! And how nice that you had so many images that worked so fabulously! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute Melanie! I really dig those red ruby slippers, and the way you did the yellow brick road! Very creative!!

    Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Melanie! This is adorable! So glad you played along this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. by making the dress into a gown and a few other alterations, this could be a great card to give to a girl for her wedding! But I like the creativity u used!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your card. So original!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGosh Mel, this is adorable!!! You are da bomb girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now Melanie, how did you forget something metallic?? Silly Goose, do I need to send you some metallic paper??

    Patricia
    www.papertemptress.com
    No more boring cardstock!!

    BTW..I think I am actually going to join this challenge so wish me luck!!

    BTWW....And as usual your creativity blows me away!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That movie is one of my favorites and your card is wonderful! The stuff you come up with always blows me away! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that dress and the shoes --- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful creation Melanie! Love the layout and Dorthoy's dress and shoes.

    Best wishes,
    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love how you have put this together :)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)