Friday, May 8, 2009

Guest Designer: Laura Jean

Look how sweet "Wee Tees" project is for a baby room! "Name frames" are one of my favorite kids to give children or babies, there's nothing like being validated seeing your name up and everywhere, and I just love this design of hanging it on the doorknob, perfect for a nursery! Thanks, Laura Jean for this lovely idea, the letters on the pieced onesies are too cute. For the dimensions, she used the largest Nestabilities Scalloped Circle (4.25" round), and cut out the same size of tag board to reinforce them (I used the White tagboard that comes in a package of SU DSP) and then backed each with a scalloped piece of Riding Hood Red. The DP is from DCWV (Animal Crackers). The total length of the hanging is approx 20".

Here is a little more abut Laura Jean, in her own words:
Favorite Technique-- Paper piecing.

Colors/color combo-- Anything I can use with brown, My favorite colors are Pacific Point, Certainly Celery, & Riding Hood Red.

Gina K set by Melanie
-- Do I have to choose? My top three would be Little Tees, Just So Sporty and Wee Tees. I'm a pretty big sports fans so all those sporty sentiments just fit my personality.

Gina K sets (from any illustrator)- Rupa's Retro Boutique and Just Be-Claws. I just love those little crabs!

Craft supplies I can’t live without— Ribbon & Basic Grey Brads. I usually have a hard time making a card without one or the other.

I've been stamping for (how long)— I started Scrapbooking my baseball vacations 9-10 years ago with just a 8.5X11 binder, some card-stock and a few stickers. I bought my first stamps (an alphabet set which I still have) about 2 years later (from Gina K ironically) to stamp baseball team names, and then my mom showed me SCS. I've been making cards, and other stamp projects since. I still do my baseball albums, but I really love working with a "smaller canvas" (i.e. card).

I get my inspiration from -- Gina K (of course!) and other blogs/web galleries. I also get PaperCrafts magazine which refer to a lot. For Scrapbooking I usually rely on Becky Higgin's Sketch Magazines for layout design.

The most important things I’ve learned about stamping/cardmaking/scrapbooking are - A sketch is just a "starting" point & if you change it up that's fine. I've started so many "challenges" only to come out with something completely different that doesn't even fit the challenge requirements, and that's okay. I've also learned that there is so much out there I have not even learned. Which makes me keep going.

Some of my stamping/crafting goals are- continue to learn more about the craft, there are a lot of techniques I have not tried yet. I also want to improve my coloring technique. Art was one of the worst subjects for me in school. LOL!

Favorite things to make that aren’t cards (if any): Scrap-booking, & coaster-book albums. I also enjoy altering tins.
Some of my stamping/crafting accomplishments are— other than being a Guest Designer for Melanie my list is pretty short. :)

And here is another sample from Laura Jean , check it out!

BIG NEWS: Have you read the "Stamping Lifestyle" Magazine yet? I am so excited to try those recipes I haven't had yet, and as well as check out some of those books! I could go on and on, but like with all things Gina K , the magazine truly surpassed all my (already very high) expectations!

Go enjoy! and have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! More to come! (don't forget to leave a comment on this post<---click here if you haven't already to be entered for the Paper Temptress Blog Candy!)

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh this is soooo caaauuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I would look so cool in my nieces bedroom. I will have to stamp lift.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love how this turned out and want to create one myself. Very creative of Laura Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling project!! Love the yummy colors too!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)