Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stretch Your Nesties and Save Your Nest Egg Tutorial

I got SO excited about exploring the possibilities of "two step cutting" with my Nestabilities dies to create new shapes like I did before in this "Faking it"post, so I played around with a few more, here are the results! I hope it gets you thinking outside of the box with dies you already have (or helps you pick which ones you REALLY want to get!) and saves you a few precious crafting dollars! TIP: For all of these, it is extremely important you have your die centered over the cut out so the pieces being cut off are symmetrcial, otherwise your final shape will be wonky, I didn't measure or anything, just look at it before you add your top plate and run it through. :)



While I DO love my scalloped dies, my favorite Nestabilites dies are the more classic, simple geometric shapes, so besides the Labels One Die Set, I haven't yet gotten any of the curvy, more ornate offerings that have come out from Spellbinders recently. Occasionally though I'll probably want something that has a fancier feel, so here's one I made using the Labels One set. Start by cutting one out.

Then turn you die a quarter turn over the die cut and cut again.
Voila! A kind of more angular substitute for the Labels Four die, has a more masculine feel(would make a cool, badge/belt buckle or just a different shaped frame... (be sure to save those curvy corners you have left over for something else!) ;) Below you can see I made a white mat with the smaller die, I'll stamp something on that later! :)

Now, onto the "Octagons"! Sorry, although I've seen some beautiful cards made with the Octagons dies, I personally can't look at octagons and not think "STOP!" (and that's where my creativity stops with this shape LOL! so I haven't bought the octagons either!) But what if I want to make a stop sign?? Well, an 8- sided shape is really a four sided shape cut twice, observe!
Cut your square, then turn a quarter turn and cut again.

...an octagon! (and photo corners, ooh ahh! hee hee!)

Next I thought I'd try cutting out an oval and then seeing what my Labels One die would do when centered over that...

A "softer" version of the first one I showed you today (it's easier to see the difference side by side at the bottom of ths post), not so pointy. It's very close to the original Labels One cut out, but I like just cutting off those rounded corners gives you a slightly different option. These two I meniton both have more of a Labels Two or Labels Three feel.... Certain stamp images and designs really do call for very specific shapes sometimes! (hey look, do you see a pair of lips on either side?! I just noticed that-HA!! I'll be using those!)


This next one using the Stars die set is cool for piecing together a quilt collage, maybe making the head of a prize ribbon, etc. Cut out a star. Now turn the star die so that each point is exactly in between the other points.

While not so curvy, layering several of these together could make a really cool looking flower, similar to the "Dahlia" Die set.

Here they all are:


I hope you liked this! :) I'm off to try to work these "new shapes" into some samples for further inspiration! New stamps are in the house!!! ;)

If you have not read the Alzheimer's post below, please do! The event has't even started yet and they are already halfway to their goal! My hope is at the end of the event we'll find there is going to be a 10, 000 dollar check written for Alzheimer's research!!

56 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea well done for thinking of it and thank you for sharing it Kind Regards Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Melanie! I love my nesties... but they are expensive. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH wow!!! What a great idea!!! These are awesome, Melanie! I'm heading over to Stamp Out Alzheimers and join you and the others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun research! and thanks for sharing your findings! It's so nice to find other ways to use our tool, more bang for the buck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all these ideas of how you can use what you have and make it more. I only have a couple of basic nestabilities, but I can see that for my next purchase I will get something that is multi-purpose. Enjoy your samples and the new stamps in the house!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie
    This is a great, super, fabulous turorial. I only have one set of Nestie wich is Labels One Die Set but this will strech its use and this also can be applied with Coluzzle oval and square. You are brilliant! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Melanie...that's SUCH a good idea...I will definitely give it a try. Thanks to you, my creative juices are flowing!!!!!
    Jan Castle

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've certainly got me looking at my nesties in a whole new way! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool Melanie! I'm glad someone can think outside the box! lol Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you soooooo much for this wonderful idea! I can't wait to get home from work and try it out! ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing your brilliant ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial! You have just added to my cardmaking abilities, and I appreciate YOU! And may the Lord continue to richly bless you for your heart to help with the Alzheimer projects. You are making a difference, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas! It was too simple or obvious for me to think of.
    Thanks for sharing these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a cool idea! Thank you for sharing, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow!!! Your are so awesome Melanie! Those are wonderful!TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This tutorial totaly rocks!!!!! Thanks so much I have got to go play with my nesties.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel's Genius strikes again.. WOW!!! You are impressive as always Mel..

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!! I love these. I'm going to have to find some time to play this weekend with my dies to see what I can come up with. Thanks for thinking outside of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy Guacamole girl! You are my HERO!! This is THE cleverest ever. How DO you do it???? WOWza!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. so clever! great post! (check your spam mail!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was really cool Melanie - THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! TFS! You sure know how to save a buck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Wow Now I'll have to buy the star set!Thanks ever so BettyXXX

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a brill idea!!! thanks for sharing love rach xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for sharing your brill tutorial def. inspiring.

    Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a brilliant idea - you're amazing, I can't wait to start experimenting to see what other shapes can be made, what fun!!

    Thanks so much for sharing

    Hugs
    Penni
    X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Melanie, this is a brill idea and many thanks for sharing. As you know I have linked your post - you certainly have helped and inspired a great many Cuttlers. ikki x

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an incredibly awesome idea! A great way to get more for your money. Thanks so much for sharing your discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea Melanie. I have the Dahlia and Labels Four nesties in a shopping cart. I'm going to take them out cause I can make the shapes I want with the nesties I already own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks SO much for sharing this! I think this is an awesome idea as well as a huge money saver. I love it when people think outside the box..because I am unable to be so creative on my own :)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  31. too fun Mel! I've played a little, but haven't gotten as brave as you...thanks for the ideas!! I'll be trying more for sure!=)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Not THAT is thinking outside the box! I love it... can't wait to try a few myself :) Thanks for this inspiration, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh wow !!! i love it i love it

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an awesome idea, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. TFS what a neat idea, definitly thinking outside the box, well sometimes inside the box as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for showing us new ways to use our 'nesties'. I have several and am really excited to have more ways to use them.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh thanks so much for more ideas on using the nestie dies. Love it!
    Hope you come up with some more soon.
    Nan G.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great ideas! Very clever. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the tutorial. Now, I have to start buying the Nestabilities so I can try my hand at some of these. LOL Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, awesome "new" uses for the nesties. Will definitely have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  41. fantastic post. you really think outside the box

    ReplyDelete
  42. How clever are you!!! Thanks so mch for this great tutorial.
    Sue W

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh, my!. I am so amazed by the creativity of some of you gals. So cool.
    Keep experimenting. We love what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  44. thanks for sharing your creative ideas with us all,,, gives us a wider range of creativity now.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Neat ideas..I did buy the Dahlia Nestabilites set though. IF you lived anywhere near Ephrata, PA..you could shop at a Mennonite stamp show where she only charges $16.95 for a set of Nestabilites..I own 6 sets I think. :) But this is a great idea ..and I will try it with my scalloped ovals and circles and squares!! Thanks for being so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love what you did with those nesties. I will have to take them out and play a bit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  47. brilliant idea
    Thanks for sharing
    It's so nice

    ReplyDelete
  48. You are a genius! I can't wait to try some of these ideas. Oh, and after seeing this fabulous tutorial now I need those star dies. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  49. brilliant idea thanks for sharing!
    gr lenny

    ReplyDelete
  50. j'adore cette macine mais le prix est trop cher pour moi, ça me décole, c'est comme les feutres "copics" ils sont fabuleux mais il y en a pour 130 euros pour 18, il faut que je fasse un hold -up LOL!!!En arrêt de travail je ne gagne que 720 euros par mois alors , c'est pas demain que je vais acheter tout ça, mais j'y rêve quand même, ça coute rien, bisous tout le monde, Maryse

    ReplyDelete
  51. Such a great idea!!! This really creates some great die cuts and truly will save you money :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Only have a few nesties my self and not a labels one at that but this coud help solve a few probs of not having what I would like for the time being. Thanks a lot for the inspiration.
    x Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)