Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Froggy Went A Courtin'...

This is a card I created for the February Dirty Girl Alumni Challenge(DCS208 in Splitcoast gallery). Block out some time to enjoy all the amazing pieces of art in this gallery! Everyone had to use images fom a set designed by a DD alumni, as there are SEVERAL now who wear illustrator "hats"! (Cool, I had a set I could use!) ;)

This card was done entirely with Copics(all colors are listed in my SCS upload), my FIRST time to use them on a card. It may not have been such a good idea to use watercolor paper with them?? Anyway, I needed to make a card to send to Debbie Olson for designing such fabulous samples with my first set, so I wanted to use a three paneled sketch she had on her blog. (I wasn't able to do the notched out portion she had because I needed my frog to be at both the top left and bottom right, but I think it's still close enough to the sketch to count.) I thought the divided panels would be perfect for the little scenes I wanted to create (can't you almost hear a big "sploosh!" for the middle one?)

It was really sweet, while I worked, Jonathan came in and peeked over my shoulder to see what I was making. "Mom! is it a STORY?" Yes, it is. (What a clever boy.) :)

When I drew this frog, I thought a lot could be done with this pose! I love frogs and I had a few in my stamp collection already, but they're all just sittin' there, ya know? I mean, if you have a frog, you want to see some leg, right?? And a little "toe cleavage" while you're at it! So I really wanted to showcase "the assets", and have a sample to demonstrate how you can make him jump in or out*, cut or mask him to break the surface, or emerging victoriously with a little somethin' he picked just for you. :) (Doesn't he look so pleased with himself?) I've got plans to make some dancing frogs, too (tiptoeing with tulips!) and check out Lee's Frogstravaganza!

I colored the brads with my Copics and used the ticket punch to make the notched corners, and a piece of SU! DP to finish it off. Lots of Stardust Stickles on the water and butterflies,and it's hard to see here, but a Sakura glaze pen and his bulgy frog eyeballs. :)


* I skipped inking up the droplets in my puddle image on the first panel to look more like still water, since he has yet to make his big splash!

22 comments:

  1. SQUUUUEEEEALLLL!! this is the BOMB! I bet Debbie will ADORE this Melanie Original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo cute!!!
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is "wow". First off, extremely cute images in this set: congrats! Second, beautiful coloring and layout (love the three panels), and third, very clever to use the image in different ways to tell the story. I'm in awe; thanks for sharing a true work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "THUD" I fell off my chair! This is so awesome, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a card! The three panels telling the "story" are wonderful! And from one stamp! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story, Melanie! You are too funny. . ."see some leg"! Love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it!!! Everything about it! :-)
    You should make it again, a little bigger with the images spaced a little more and in a frame in your kids room!... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! What a SPECTACULAR splash!! I love this 3 panel "story" card!!! You MUST illustrate a children's book!!! Fabulous!!! I am getting soooo weak about caving in on Copics too thanks in part to this amazing coloring!!! And thanks for the Froggy mention!!! I'm finishing up a swap and then back to some more Hoppy Creating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO CUTE!!! I just love how creative you are using an image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky, lucky girl to recieve such a fabulous card!! I think I would frame it!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh MY Gosh!!! I'm speechless..well, almost! This is one of THE most AWEsome cards, I have EVER seen! No fooling, this is off-the-charts ROCKIN'!!! You certainly did the DD Alumi name justice! This is truly amazing, Melanie, I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat story. I agree with Jonathan! You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I flipped over this card when I saw it in the gallery! I love, love, love it!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the COOLEST of cards! Thank you, thank you, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohmyheck this is just too cute for words

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favorite Hoppy Frog card yet! You are so freakin' talented, you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too adorable... You know your soo right. We should all be appreciated for *our assets*. Your froggy friend is sure to bring joy to many. Your copic skills will gain thunderous applause.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is truly one of the cutest cartds I have seen in awhile. I love the "action" and the frog is just FABULOUS!! I'm lovin' this whole set! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)