Thursday, February 7, 2008

Got Grid?


Okay, no finished card from me today (but for a really great card, and drink-spewing laugh, check out Donna's "monkeys gone wild" card), my release stamps* came so I am working on top secret shtuff, but here is what I started BEFORE they came, wanted to share a good TIP/mini tutorial!

This may not be news to anybody but ME, but I had a little "aHA!" moment I wanted to share just in case. In addition to my small acrylic blocks, I have one long gridline block I purchased for getting long trim stamps straight and to have the ability to line up letters. I hadn't seen them demonstrated before, so I've had them about five months now, and hasn't considered any other uses. When I got my Just So Hippy set and started creating backgrounds with the small flower and heart stamps from it(this occured to me AFTER I made the onesies, (of course!) but would have been perfect!) the lightbulb finally came on.

Place small stamps at the crosshairs either side by side or diagonally and stamp, then shift, down or diagonally, depending on how you want your pattern to go, straight rows of the same image, or alternating, as shown here. PERFECT pattern! Isn't that cool?! And of course you can make the pattern larger by spacing the images further apart on the block. This has so many applications and would be terrific for certain projects when you really want your pattern uniform.
If you haven't gone unmounted yet, this is one of my favorite advantages of doing so I think, being able to put more than one image on your block at once and go, talk about stamping double-time! If you are looking to buy some acrylic blocks I'd go for finding at least a few with grids, not just a long one, but little ones, too! :)

Hope this helps somebody!

GINA K WILL START THE 3 DAY RELEASE PREVIEW TOMORROW! Check there and here the next 3 days until the release, and then jump in the release party forum on SCS Sunday night, there will be prizes, contests, and craziness, oh my!

*I wanted to clear up any confusion by my suggestion the other day to buy my two stamp sets at the release plus the greetings: I am releasing ONE new set (this time) which will bring me up to TWO sets available for you to purchase of mine! So if you already have my first set(thank you!), get the NEW one and some other fab ones by Gina K (it's a really good release) to get the free set of the month! Sorry if that was confusing!

PS Some of you are reading more carefully than I thought ;)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to that adorable and hilarious monkey gone wild card!! I love the background idea you shared too......that is another reason I'm loving the unmounted stamps too!! And I will sooooooooo be there Sunday nite....credit card ready!! DH has been warned!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Gotta get some grid paper now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, this is so wonderful. I have got to get a block with the grid on it soon. Thanks for the tutorial. I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHA! I knew it! I'm so hoppy I read all the words and don't just skim ;) Thank you so much for the tip. I've seen the acrylic blocks with grids on them but never thought I needed to spend the money on them. Those grids sure would help out since I like to stamp directly on my cards for backgrounds, but seem to mess up more than I would care to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tutorial...it is so nice to SEE! I only have one small grid block, now I will have to look at getting a larger one! Can't wait for the release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingenious! I have one grid block - must try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, brilliant! Perfection every time--Heaven knows I need all the help I can get! Another awesome tip! The countdown officially begins....only 3 more days! geez, it's like waiting for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to have your new Just so Hoppy Set!!!! I just saw a peak on Gina K's site... I need to get a job to pay for all the cute new stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that tutorial,it's such a neat idea!! That's why you're soo
    good,you have all these little secret tips,lol! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Melanie I had to pop over when I saw Gina's Peek! Your stamp is ADORABLE!!! I so will need it. I totally LOVE your style. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to say congrats on the new release! The card Gina has up today is just SOOOOO darling! You are just off the charts talented now aren't you!?!? :-) Can't wait to see your creations with this set!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tip, Melanie!! Thanks!

    Can't wait to see your new set!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)