Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Basket of Happiness*

I have been struggling to make something for this week's sketch challenge for you tonight and it just not working out the way I'd planned so far (and my camera is in my car!) Luckily I do have a few new cards I made for the Gina K release I have not yet blogged about! The flower basket image from "Baskets of Happiness" above was a great match for this a pattern on the DP and all the colors came from the paper, I didn't have to think abut it at all(YES!) I used my watercolor crayons and Aquapainter to color my flowers red and turquoise to mimic the flowers on my paper and used a bright pink for the basket. I have a tendency to put too much color on when I'm watercoloring and not allowing enough light or white space for my highlight spot, here I think I did a better job than usual on the basket and stopped in time. If you manage to catch the light this way, I think it is the most striking part of a coloring job, the part that HAS NO color!

I decided not to use my Nestabilites this time, layered with the Coluzzle instead. As much as I love scallops, i thought a simple round frame fit the big circles in the paper flowers. I centered it in the middle of 4 flowers on the paper to frame it (so if you could see through it there would be a brown cross right in the middle of my focal point, and the flower edges all hang out the same amount like the tops of little hearts, see?)

I ran a long strip of Cool Caribbean CS into my key tag punch for the greeting because I wanted the corners to be rounded like the other elements on my card. Here I also centered the strip in between the brown cross pattern. Two green Primas (for a total of three round things on the card, including my focal point, a pleasing odd number) pulled in that lovely lime from the DP and turquoise brads in the centers were the finishing touch.

I was going to do two cards, but I'd better save that one for another blog emergency! ;)

Don't forget to enter below for Blog Candy if you haven't already, Wednesday is the last day! :)

* Sorry I don't have a funny title for you. At first out of desperation and lack of time I called it "Short Post Tonight!", but then when I was done, I realized it wasn't so short after all! Trying to be witty, I then thought I'd call it "I'm a Basket Case!" but that made it sound like I CASED this card. Which I didn't.

PS A few have correctly guessed the number!! ;)

14 comments:

  1. This is a real beauty...love the dp and your coloring is amazing....

    sure i can't guess for the blog candy ????(muhahaaa!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderfully bright and springy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, love what you did with that set!
    I want to thankyou for the adorable Hoppy card! I got it a couple days ago and I just LOVE it! My first card from a celebrity;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous coloring!! I've seen so many beautiful cards, I've been afraid to try that stamp set out!!! LOL This card is just so happy and cheery and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! that's funny - love your bright card

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great little card and I'm so jealous that you still have some Cool Caribbean CS!! Love that color!
    Title or no title, your blog is a fun read every day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! love the colors you used. And thank you so much for the detail you give on doing your cards. Im new to this and it helps tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card, as well as the others! Love how you painted the pail/bucket...and I agree about the white spot!

    Thanks for all your tips and how to's!!

    Oh, and I love the first photo of your son on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card... Ireally like teh DP and the coloring! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card Melanie!! Pretty bright
    colors,I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is gorgeous!!

    Love it alot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, I just love this stamp, don't you?! Such cheerful colors and lovely patterns make this card a charming creation! tfs!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)