Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tie One On! Hang it Up!

No swinging monkeys or nakey doctors today, I'm afraid, hope you're not disappointed! Just a straight up sweet baby card I've been meaning to make for awhile with Gina K's adorable new "Rectangle Greetings"(set of the month last month, this month you can purchase it. May I suggest buying this one, and my two sets at the release to earn you the NEW set of the month free? (it's a good one!) Just a suggestion... ;)

I made the giraffe dimensional and then I hung my little baby greeting on his tail, isn't that sweet? You can use a real piece of thread or just draw one, here I made it coming through the sign (see the little holes?) TIP: I wanted to put that nice interior greeting from the set on the outside, so I decided to frame it up like the baby greeting by stamping it on a white rectangular piece of CS, running a brush tip black marker around the edge, and then with a stright edge using a fine point pen to make the inner border and colored to match the small one. This I mounted on another piece of white CS and cut with scalloped scissors. (You could also quadruple(!) mat it instead, but I think it's easier to draw it, IMHO) I also drew a rectangle around my giraffe to frame up my focal point to match. This pink and black gingham is another piece from my new Hobby Lobby mat pack, small and large grosgrains are from Stampin up! I also used their photo corner punch and a Scrap Essentials heart brad to balance out that top corner, so the card wouldn't be too bottom heavy.

I've done a two layer, dimensional giraffe on a couple other cards I've posted, but today I wanted to show some pics of how to do it. Stamp two giraffes, one for you focal point (so leave room around it for the mat), and the one you'll cut up. Cut just the back two legs and tail off your second one, color both, and add dimensionals behind the legs.

I cut up the the little edge trim pieces from your dimensional sheet for the narrow leg parts with my craft scissors(so my snips wouldn' get sticky), and they fit. Mount on top of your first giraffe an it looks like he's sticking out at you.
It's hard to photograph this effect but it really is worth the effort, and now you can tie something around the tail or put a lollipop or other object behind it like my card pop in a previous post.

Finally, I added the following tip to a previous post but didn't have a pic(and you might not always read the whole post!), so here it is again, use the little heart and flower on the back with your siggy, here are mine!

Thanks for stopping by! 5 days til the release, and only 3 days til Gina K's countdown begins and contest entries are due!!



PS If you are "Janet" and left a comment on my blog a few days back about submitting a Tarzan monkey card for my contest, I DIDN'T GET IT! I tried to contact you but was unable to view your profile to get any contact info. Janet, are you out there??? Please resend!

17 comments:

  1. Soooo ADORABLE!
    Nancy Panko

    ReplyDelete
  2. You suggestion is exactly my plan. I can't wait to get my hands on your set that's already out. My cousin and his wife are expecting their first child (a GIRL)!!! in 5 months. This is my Aunt's first grandchild and the first girl in their immediate family (4 sons). I am creating Baby Shower Invites, Announcements and Granddaughter announcements for them with your set. Those words of Gina's would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this giraffe! What a darling card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!!! Love your creativity and the hanging sign. too cute girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is absolutely wonderful! I love the bg dp, perfect contrast! And the hanging *baby* sign and framed sentiment look so awesome! Love the pink photo corner too--inspiring and beautiful! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a GREAT card. The baby sign is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is as cute as can be, Melanie!! Thanks for sharing all the details! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhh.......what a sweet baby card!! I LOVE the baby greeting hanging from the tail!! I already have that rectangle set and your first set.........oooooo......that means I get 3 more sets so I can get the Feb. stamps!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute, cute! I just love that giraffe! And I can't wait to see what you do with your NEW set! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that giraffe is so cute. I have been able to resist purchasing that set but you make it difficult to continue the resistance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THAT'S IT!!!! I can't take it no more,I have to have it!!!! That is the most lovalbe card!!!! I'm going to order that set,bye bye!
    It'll be my b'day present to me,tomorrow is my b'day and I deserve it!!LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this baby card, the colors are more pronounced than usual (and paired with black) and I think it makes it stand out! :-)

    Haven't found the time for the contest, but there's always tomorrow!...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am here! I have been having trouble getting my connections through to you I know!!! I posted both of my entries on my blog so that you can get them that way. Here is my link: http://moosisk.blogspot.com
    My e-mail address is moosisk@hotmail.com
    JANET

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that's soo CUTE!! You are such a little genious!! :) LOVE LOVE LOVE that those hind legs are popped up--totally gives that dimensional feel and also hanging the sign--SOOO CUTE!! :) I also love your heart brad and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness is this adorable, Melanie! I just adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card, great ideas, cute use of that little giraffe tail! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)