Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Look What Popped Up!

A sweet and simple card...

...with a kicked-up surprise inside!
To get the right arc for your greeting, lay your acrylic block on top of your scallop. I trimmed my greeting up a little bit to make the curve( to get an even gentler arc, cut each word individually (but don't lose them!)) Then I placed my scallop on the popped out part (see directions to make the pop up below) so I could see how high I would need to stamp my greeting when standing open, I wanted it to be hovering just above. Then press the card back so you can stamp it, the greeting will look higher on the card(with more space in between) when it's open all the way.
To make your layered focal point pop up, after scoring your middle fold, place you CS back in your cutter and make two parallel cuts across the fold in the middle. When you fold the score, push these two cuts out so you have what looks like a little box. Adhere your pop up to the front. (Make sure your focal point is not so big that it sticks out when you close it).
If you look back, to the finished inside, you'll see I added some scallops to the top and bottom of the pink layer(in the pic above I just have it resting inside) To make the scallops, take the corner guide off your large corner rounder and punch across the edge. I added a little dot to each scallop with my marker to match my stamped and punched scallop on the front.



Front of card uses SU! Hostesss Designer Prints Pack, Chocolate Satin ribbon and SAB So Many Scallops, which I colored DTS with my matching SU! markers. I punched out a scallop in Chocolate Chip as well and offset it below the stamped punch to give it some "pop".

Have you read about Gina K's new product that's available now? Gotta get me some of those fo sho! Also, more free bling being offered with orders up until the 31st, go check it out if you have been waiting to place an order, only a few more days! (As far as I know only one or two tickets have been found so far! That means there's a lot left! If you get one in your order, be sure to let us know about your ticket sighting!! :)

Jonathan update: thanks so much for all the comments about his artwork, he really got inspired to make more stuff for his tin (he's been coming and dropping things off at my desk saying "here, scan this", before turning around to go make something else!) Incidentally, I didn't get to share my FAVORITE drawing of his with you, because I can't find it anywahere!!! I was a bit panicked yesterday when I couldn't find it on the computer, I really thought I'd scanned it a long time ago, couldn't find it in email either, so I had to go hunting for the original! I would have never, never thrown it away(packrat/nostalgicmom), fingers crossed it turns up soon!! :)

7 comments:

  1. I hope you find the missing artwork! I can't wait to get my stamp set. This pop up card is such a neat idea. I can see it working for your Hoppy's too! And I just noticed your hit counter. You're up over 100,000! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTENESS!!!!! I love that little zebra in the pinks!!! And she really is perfect for a POP UP card!!!! And those pencils look awesome on Gina's Blog!!!! Guess what??? I'm feverishly working on a Jumping for Joy project as I got my Stamps TODAY!!!!! It should be posted late tonite!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just super cute!! Love how you did the sentiment!! I sure hope you find his artwork, I would be flippin out too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAaay cute, Melanie! I your pink zebra and how he's hiding inside for a big surprise! This card is kickin', girl! Hehe! :) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute!! My cousin was right, fabulous to make the zebra pink

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)