Monday, May 12, 2008

Owl Would You Like to Kiss Me in the Moonlight?*

I was so excited about how this turned out! I was inspired by Gina K's moonlit branches card, so I wanted to try to silhouette the owls in front of a big full moon. This uses my cut Coluzzle technique you've seen me use on other projects.

First I stamped my owls on white CS, colored with markers and Prismas and OMS then cut it out and set aside. (I extended the branch image just a bit) I stamped the owls in white craft ink on the black CS so I could see where I'd need to cut and place my pieced, colored owls.
Next I placed my round Coluzzle template on top and chose the third track in(blue) so my silhouette wouldn't fall out. I inserted the Coluzzle blade and followed the track skipping the stamped parts.
I went back in with my paper snips and cut around the owls.
I went back in with the hobby blade to cut the interior sections I couldn't get to with my snips. It's okay if your cutting is not perfect; err on the side of making it a little bigger than the stamped image if you need to(that will just look like a dark shadow around your colored parts, enlarge the card front above to see areas I may have missed) because you don't want the white CS hanging over the edges and showing on the back, you want that all to be black(as you'll see below on the finished card interior)Inserting the white CS mat inside gives you space to write and the closed card casts a shadow onto the "moon" from the owls image. Last adhere your colored owls to the outside like you are paper piecing. I used my quickie glue pen for all those tiny branches and leaves.

And here is the inside with the greeting from the same set. Isn't that cool how you see their silhouette from the inside? Hopefully the black isn't making you think too much of a Halloween! I just wanted it to be a romantic evening :)
* this is a play on a song from an old Bob Hope movie "The Princess and the Pirate" I saw at my grandparents' when I was a kid, did anybody ever see that? Lee? Weren't you the one that likes old (Doris Day?) movies?

19 comments:

  1. OMG that is awesome I love this effect and the owls are perfect for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card Melanie! Love the look... you are a great cutter! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! This is Totally awesome. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FAntastic mel! love this!

    Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie!!! Ohhhhhh WOWWWWW.....how incredible!!! Amazing, Awesome!!! What a lot of detail work....which you totally ROCK at!!! I've gotta, gotta, gotta try this!!! That's it....I'm telling hubby I simply **must** have a coluzzle!!! LOL

    And yep!! I was the one who adores Doris Day movies!! And I LOVE the Princess and the Pirate.....just saw it not long ago with my kids......I LOVE Netflix!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool technique! When I first saw it, I thought you did it a totally different way! As I read on, I was completely surprised!

    Awesome card! All these samples that I'm seeing are making me want to buy that owl set!!! Thanks for the enabling!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just too darn cute. I wish i had the imagination you have.

    smallcity

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no words other than WOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez Melanie, you must be feeling better(atleast I hope you are) because this is awesome!!! Completely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just TOO DANG CUTE!!! (yes, I'm yelling!!!)
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
  12. No! Get out! This is stinking fantastic!

    Gonna have to case this idea TODAY

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing!! thanks for the great tutorial too. you're cutting is unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just too cool. The card is fantastic. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card took my breath away! I love it -- it's the kind of card that I would save and save and save. You were Runner Up for Card of the Week over at www.cardoftheweek.com -- check it out -- http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/05/card-of-the-w-2.html

    Thanks for sharing your amazing talent with us! I can't wait to try to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing cutting there!! The result is so fantastic too!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)