Friday, May 30, 2008

Kicked-Up Kick Stand Card!*

I've been meaning to try one of these kick stand cards for awhile, but what I started out making never really worked as far as the layout, they always looked too bottom-heavy to me, just not quite the right design so I would always end up making a regular card. But here I had an idea to use a shape other than a square or rectangle for the kickstand, and turning it on it's side to match the DCVW DP so that the front just rests on one point, perfectly balanced, ta da! Isn't that fun? The stars are mounted on dimensionals and the "Jumping for Joy" seal has his horn from the same set, and is further accessorized with the party hat from "Hip Hop Accesssories".

Here's a close-up to see the inside of the card better when it's closed. The dotted lines are from SU!'s All in a Row set. I stamped the seal in Basic Brown and colored him with the E13 Light Suntan Copic (my favorite color I've used for the seal so far, really shows the detail so much more with this lighter brown) , outlined with Pale Aqua. I also added the little "whoosh" on the DP above to make the star look like it was falling, to go with the "zoooom" and the little airplanes on the DP.
I made the star frame with a this star piercing template from Gina K, which she is going to be selling in her online store, wait til you see! First I pierced my white star. I counted 7 over each time to make sure I wasn't going too long on any side. Then I carefully trimmed around the dots. Next I wanted a red mat, so I placed my cut white star on top, chose the track outside that and pierced a hole at the end of each point, and 2 holes where the points join together. (Hopefully you can see when you click on it. You can't just make one hole because of the way the plastic meets up.) Then just connect the dots with your scissors cutting just past the inside whole and then go the other way , cutting just past to meet you first cut. A perfect mat!
The shaped mats Gina K will be offering will give you TONS of ways to kick up your cards and take your piercing and projects to another level, I highly recommend them! (and will be working on more ways cool ways for you to use them here! ;)

*or "Catch a Falling Star!"

5 comments:

  1. WOW - this is a great card!!
    xAndrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh.........I just LOVE this star shape for the kick stand part!!! How cool is that!! More fun shtuff from Gina, eh??!! I'll have to keep my eye out!! LOL I'll be playing with the new set again tonite at the mini VSN!!! Gotta go shopping and get some more DCWV packs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous love your kickstand card it's too cute and the DP is awesome. On so Gina K. wants some more of my money, LOL, can't wait those are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - using a star as a kick stand and using the piercing mat as a template!! You definitley 'think outside the square/star', Melanie!! Thanks for the ideas - that's a really cute card with the seal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMgosh, I just love this!! Awesome kick stand card Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)